Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Pop-before-SMTP

pk

Re: POP-BEFORE-SMTP Config
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2002, 10:22:27 PM »
Hmmmm, I may have typed too soon. a few hours later popb4smtp stopped working...I was -t the pop-before-smtp, maillog and cleanup log. Requests where passing through as mail was being checked, but then it stopped, no new entries, I tried a reboot....but remote email continued to fail.

I posted a new message here

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=4442.msg15426#msg15426

as to what I am trying to accomplish...maybe I am just going about this the wrong way.

anyway, I plan to remove popb4smtp and reinstall and see what happens

Thanks
Paul

Nathan Fowler

JUNE 06, NEW VERSION, FIXED PROBLEM WITH FREQUENT "POPP
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2002, 04:54:40 AM »
New versions of pop-before-smtp, imap-before-smtp, and popSSL-before-smtp have been published, fixing an issue with frequent poppers.  These update daemons were published on June 06, 2002:

A file, the name being the IP address of the client is created when a client
connects.  The time/date stamp of that file is used in the smtp_cleanup program and is assigned a date/time when the file is created.  When the time/date stamp of the IP file + 10 minutes is less than NOW the file is deleted.  Since some clients are connecting so frequently, here is the delimma:

A client connects at 3:30, 3:33, 3:36, 3:39, 4:41
The IP file is created on 3:30
The IP file is deleted on 4:40

If the client has not popped since 4:40 they will get the denied error message because the time/date stamp of the IP file still reads 3:30 despite the fact that they are frequently connecting.  The code has been updated to refresh the time/date stamp on an IP file that already exists.

The code has been updated and republished, it is strongly recommended that you update at this time.  Special thanks to Paul (pk) for working with me on this and pointing out this bug.

If you do not know how to update please let me know.
As always, please report any bugs.
Thanks,

Nathan Fowler

Daley Lay

Re: JUNE 06, NEW VERSION, FIXED PROBLEM WITH FREQUENT "
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2002, 06:46:06 AM »
Hi There,

If i have installed smtpd_check_rules from myezsrerver.com, can i install this???

pk

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2002, 06:51:23 AM »
Daley;

My understanding is YES, you can install...I have installed and believe that it works good in conjunction with pop-beforep-smtp

Daley Lay

« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2002, 07:00:14 AM »
Hi PK,

Shd i download is from http://www.stickit.nu/pop-before-smtp/
? and is that any rpm version?

Nathan Fowler

« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2002, 07:00:24 AM »
Daley, yes.  As a matter of fact, I have installed that exact same package. :)

Nathan Fowler

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2002, 07:05:28 AM »
Negative on the RPM for now, I just don't have the time.  Yes the URL you posted is the correct source for the installation.

Hope this helped,
Nathan