Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

How to make a dummy ps2 plug

Pieter van Haren

How to make a dummy ps2 plug
« on: April 11, 2002, 04:37:15 PM »
Does anybody know how to make a dummy ps2 plug?

I have several e-smithservers that I control thru my webbrowser. I don't have a monitor connected to this servers, but I have to connect a keybord, because otherwise the servers won't start.

Does anybody have a pinout or something to make a dummy ps2 plug, so that my servers can reboot, but I don't have to connect a keybord tot them?

Thanx!!!

Pieter van Haren

Jon

Re: How to make a dummy ps2 plug
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2002, 05:10:10 PM »
Check the halt on error section in the computer bios.
There is usually choice to skip halting on keyboard error which will do what you want.
Generally you get the bios options by pressing del as the computer first boots up.

HTH
Jon

Pieter van Haren

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2002, 05:49:59 PM »
Did that already, but my servers's bios does not have that option.

I did found a device to emulate keybord and mouse devices, but that's not free (of course) (http://www.cadesigns.co.uk/dkm1b.htm)

Thanx for your quick reaction!

Rick

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2002, 05:58:07 PM »
I have heard that using a ps2 to usb mouse adapter works, but I haven't tried it myself. You may want to give it a try

Pieter van Haren

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2002, 06:29:47 PM »
I've found a listing to article in a magazine called Silicon Chip. In the issue of February 2002 is an article on page 76 called "Dummy Keyboard For PCs" by Greg Swain (http://www.siliconchip.com.au/html/conts02-02.htm)

Ik tried to find the actual article, but I can't find it anywhere.

Does someone know what I'm talking about, or does someone has the magazine and wants to m eail it to me?

Thanx

Pieter van Haren

Graham

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2002, 07:22:14 PM »
Hi,

Keyboards here (ps2 ones) are £2.75

Probably cheaper than buying or making a dummy !

Kelvin

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2002, 05:08:24 AM »
Hi Pieter,

Just about all BIOSes I have come across from old 286 PCs to current ones have an option to ignore the keyboard at boot up. They don't all call it the same thing or put it in the same place (sometimes you have to choose Halt On No Errors) but I don't recall ANY of the PCs I've worked with that does not have the option (except notebook BIOSes).

I'd suggest looking at the BIOS again (especially if it is a fairly recent Motherboard - probably is if you are using PS/2 connectors).

Unfortunately, if you really, really have a BIOS that does not support this, I can't help you with the plug you wanted.

Just my 2 bits.

Kelvin

Ruusvuu

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2002, 09:03:12 AM »
I think Kelvin is probably right.  I just installed SME on a webhosting server and told my network admin that he wqould have to leave a keyboard connected to the computer all the time - so I gave him one to use.

He fixed it in under five minutes - now it doesn't need to have the keyboard attached.  This is on a PentiumIII board and i'm used to AMD boards and Bioses.

Get someone you know who is like this guy and he'll be able to do the same thing - I'm positive.