Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Adsl Drop Connection

EH

Adsl Drop Connection
« on: March 27, 2002, 02:57:42 AM »
I need to access my system from work.  This is annoying when the connection drops and I can't connect.  I called Sympatico and told me change some settings in my Power Options.  Maybe it’s just me but how is this going to stop the drop connections of the Adsl that is connected to the e-smith box my changing windows settings?
If there is anyone out there that has a fix for this please let me know.
I am also a Linux Newbie so please don't tell me to edit a file and don't tell me where the file is and where to place text in the file.

Please help,
EH

Terry Brummell

Re: Adsl Drop Connection
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2002, 03:39:40 AM »
As discussed here a couple of times before:

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=12810.msg48261#msg48261

That search feature is a wonderful thing!

EH

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2002, 04:15:03 PM »
I did do a search and did find that thread.  But if you read what I said I am new to Linux.  It said to add a line to this file. Do I just add that line anywhere and save it or do I have to put it in a certain place within that file.
Let us take in consideration we are not all Linux experts like yourself.

Thanks,

EH.

Geoff Bennion

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2002, 07:54:39 PM »
If you give more details about your system, such as the type of network card that is attached to the modem, if it is eth0 or eth1 etc... then people can give help specifically targetted at you, instead of trying to generalise, and confuse.

EH

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2002, 02:37:49 AM »
Beleive it or not I did change the settings in the power management on my WinXP and Win2000 server like Sympatico told to by setting the
Power Scheme to Always on, Turn off hard disks to never and System standby to never.  My connection has not dropped in six days.  I can't see how this should work but it is working.

Cheers,
EH