Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Exchange like Software

Tue Hellstern

Exchange like Software
« on: March 15, 2002, 12:14:43 PM »
Hi
I’ am locking for some software there has the same functions as MS Exchange server. I have bin locking at Samsung Contact, but can’t get it working on my E-smith server. Has anyone managed to get it working on E-smith?
Has anyone a alternative to Samsung Contact I have seen “Connector”, but I think it is a little to expensive, 600$.

Tue

adrian weir

Re: Exchange like Software
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2002, 04:29:27 PM »
Hi,

I know that HP Openmail provides Exchange type functionality and is free for commercial use (up to 60 clients I think). I'm not sure where to get it but we used it as our platform in a previous company and was pretty good.

Cheers

Adrian

guestHH

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2002, 06:54:38 PM »
Look around for Samsung Contact in these forums

Serge Dutremble

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2002, 06:23:57 AM »
I got the Samsung Contact software and it probably would not run on SME as it looks for Redhat 7.2 (would not run at all anywhere else) and uses X for installation.
The following is not related to SME and is provided for information.  EMail me at serge@sdsc.ca if you want to know more.

My experience with the Contact mail server on RH7.2:
I was able to install it on a RedHat 7.2 box and it seemed to connect fine using the Outlook connector from an XP Pro client.  However, I could not test it further as I was not able to enter the administration pages to configure the server more than the default installation.  COuld not create public mailboxes, resources....  I was getting constant "Invalid user or password" although I KNOW I did use the proper username and password for the administrator.  I am pursuing this with Samsung on their BETA brogram..

Yes, this is still in BETA mode and is timebombed for June 2002.  The final product, I believe, should be free for non-comercial use for up to 5  (yes five!) users only.

I could be wrong about the licensing as I could not find a reference of this anywhere.  Just seem to remember I read it somewhere :-)

In any case, it is SUPPOSED to give you similar functionality to MS Exchange if you use Outlook and the Contact connector.  Calendaring and other objects are supported although I could not simulate an appointment booking...  The EMail was not received by the addressee, also on Contact.

It seems to be providing more functionality than just POP3 and IMAP can.

In any case, this thread does not seem to be helping on SME.

Just so you should know.

Serge.

Tue Hellstern

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2002, 12:37:46 PM »
Hi,
Thank a lot for the answers.
If I want to use the E-smith server I can’t use Samsung Contact, is that correct?
I have my mail up an working, thanks to this list, but I would like also to be able use public folders to Contact and Appointments also are there anyone there know about some software there can do that on a E-smith server?
In another treed in this forum I have seen a product call InsightConnector from www.bynari.net, but I haven’t been able to download it and I think the price is a little high 600$. Has anyone got it up and running on a E-smith server?

Tue

Graham

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2002, 01:22:13 PM »
If you just want a calender and address book you can use Schedule +7.0
and point it at a shared .scd file on server !

g:)

Tue Hellstern

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2002, 01:29:49 PM »
Hi Graham,
I want to be able to user Outlook as a client against the server (E-smith) and have a shared calendar and contact, can Schedule +7.0 do that?
How do I get Schedule +7.0 and can it run on E-smith server?

Tue

Jon

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2002, 01:34:43 PM »
Not sure of the price but this might work.
It doesnt need a server at all, but you could locate the .pst file on the server :)

www.outlookfolders.com

Graham

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2002, 04:26:11 PM »
Schedule+ is part of M$ Office 95.

I have refused to upgrade becasue it does what we want !

Tue Hellstern

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2002, 04:50:05 PM »
Hi Graham
I’am using Office XP and the software I’ am looking for has to intergraded with Outlook 2000/XP.

Tue

Devlyn Davis

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2002, 06:14:49 PM »
Jon wrote:
>
> Not sure of the price but this might work.
> It doesnt need a server at all, but you could locate the .pst
> file on the server :)
>
> www.outlookfolders.com

I went to check this out, but they want $425 for a five user license and $83 for each additional license.  

-Dev

Tue Hellstern

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2002, 06:22:42 PM »
Hi,
I think that 425$ for five user is too expensive, but it’s less expensive than MS Exchange Server.
In my opinion are there one problem more, it is running on Windows and not on the E-smith server (Linux).

Tue

John Snyder

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2002, 11:20:50 PM »
I have not tried it yet but in the how-to,s there is a how-to for installing phpproject witch is free and may suite your needs. I plan on setting it up myself in the near future. if you install it and get it working drop me a line and let me know if it is worth the time to download and install.
Johnbob

Jon

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2002, 12:35:55 AM »
John,
The problem many of us are trying to overcome is using "lookout" (Outlook) with shared calendars, tasks etc.
There are a lot reasons why we want this functionality in business environments. Unfortunatly the PHPProjekts, Twig, Twiggi's etc are browser based and dont have anything like the functionality of Outlook.

To answer your question I used the PHPProject "how to" and it was pretty straight forward and worked quite well for what it is. Give it a try, take a look on the phprojekt.com web site, there is a demo.

I've downloaded the source for Bill Workgroup server
http://www.billworkgroup.org/billworkgroup/home/Doc/BillInstallLinux/DebianPostgreSQLInstall
which is open source but does require the paid for outlook plugin. I'm still waiting for a responce to my "how much" question but they do allude to it being free for home and evaluation use.

Ill be trying to get it working on a 5.1.2 server over the next few weeks

Jon

John Snyder

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2002, 12:53:17 AM »
Thank you vary much for the heads up just thought i would throw in my 2 cents. I dont know much about linux but thanks to SME and all the wonderful people using this board system i have taken a great liking to linux and its use in the server industry. I was a die hard NT man until I found SME now I will not be using NT for any servers in the near future thank you so much every one.

P.S. im pulling my hair out trying to use frees/wan if any body has this working on 2 cable modems with psudo static IP addresses (changes only if machine is off for more than 12 hours) Please drop me a line I need help.

Johnbob

Johnbob_A_johnbob.com