Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Problem accessing Internet through gateway

Adam

Problem accessing Internet through gateway
« on: March 12, 2002, 10:07:13 AM »
Hello there,

I'm hoping someone can help.

We have a machine set up with 2 Network cards that acts as our Gateway to the internet. This machine runs Redhat Linux and has a satellite card in it.

Our other machine (SME 5.1.2) has two Network Cards as well (one on the local lan and the other one with an external IP address).

The SME has the Redhat machine as its Default Gateway.

Browsing the internet from client machines (win2k) works fine , so long as the Proxy is used (SME machine).

But I can't seem to ping any machines on the web - i..e www.ibm.com

I also can't seem to access my external pop account at my isp.

But I can ping external addresses and my ISP's mail server etc from the SME box

Does anyone know what may be causing this ?

cheers,

Adam

Emmanuel Divina

Re: Problem accessing Internet through gateway
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2002, 12:14:34 PM »
You have to make the either the SME server or the Redhat server  as the default gateway of Client ( pointing to the internal ip address). Why do you need to use two network card on the SME server if you are pointing to the Redhat server as the gateway. You can just use one card on the SME and configure it as a server only mode and will still work fine.

Kelvin

Re: Problem accessing Internet through gateway
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2002, 12:20:42 PM »
I think more info is required :-

1. How are the Machines connected (ie. are the LAN Workstations connected only to the LAN interface of the SME server and NOT the RH gateway ? Is the External interface of the SME connected to the LAN interface of the RH gateway, etc. etc.)

2. Since browsing via proxy works, I'm guessing the SME server is configured correctly to access the internet (you can check by logging on as root at the SME console and ping external addresses like www.ibm.com)

3. If (2) above works then your LAN workstations should be configured to use the SME as the default gateway as well as the DNS server and not the RH PC (depending on your connection scheme -- refer (1) above).

Please post more info if these brief suggestions don't fit your setup.

Kelvin