Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Switch Server Only to Server/Gateway

Rick Evans

Switch Server Only to Server/Gateway
« on: March 11, 2002, 12:15:44 AM »
I originally installed 5.1.2 as a server only system. I am running a IDSL connection that somes with a modem/router device. I would like to change the configuration now that I am seeing the benifits of using SME in server & gateway mode. Problem is I hav spent a considerale amount of time setting up users transfering data and getting things running smopthly (file sharring anyway). Is there a was to make the switch without losing data and reconfiguring everything?

Also, anyone have any experence on making a Netopia R3100 IDSL Router act a modem only device? (i.e. I would like the Netopia to make the internet conenction and pass everything through to the SME Server including the public ip.)

Thanks for your help.

-Rick Evans

Confucius

Re: Switch Server Only to Server/Gateway
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2002, 02:59:30 AM »
Rick,

I never ever really tried it on a production server but on my test-servers I can switch easy from server only mode to server & gateway mode easy by the admin panel.

Login as admin (instead of root) and choose 'configure' and you can re-configure your server easy and if I'm right you won't loose anything, even going from S&G to SO and back to S&G seems to keep the data. The keys simply get disabled and enabled as change, the rest sticks.

Harro

PS : a full back-up is never useless.... !!!!