Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

DDNS for external IPs

Serge Dutremble

DDNS for external IPs
« on: March 02, 2002, 06:36:05 PM »
I want to be able to use DDNS for a few external IPs used by some of my clients.  By external, I mean they are not on my local network.

For DDNS, I use EasyDNS which works fine.  My own SME 5.0 external IP is refreshed properly (I have an Bell Sympatico HSE DSL connection) (sdsc.ca).  The two additonal entries for my clients also update fine on EasySND.(client1.sdsc.ca and client2.sdsc.ca)

When I try to connect to client1 or client2 from outside my local LAN, it works fine.  However, it does not work from within my local LAN as the entries are not inserted in my server-manager.

I also have two virtual domains what get properly routed from the internet.  One of them was a free setvice with a nag footer that would show up on the internet but not when the same url was viewed from the internal LAN.

Any manual entries I would do within my own LAN for client1 and client2 would NOT be dynamically updated anyway.

Is there a way around all this?  It seems that even when I tell SME NOT to be a DNS server, it still wants to serve DNS for the local domain.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

mike mattos

mutliple Dynamic DNS setup
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2002, 02:13:22 AM »
I am researching how to have several easydns routed domains on my server, I have had the first running for months now but am told I need to duplicate my entries for additional domains, and I haven't figured out how to do that.  

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle multiple dns's?

thx

mike