Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

I need to migrate to a new server!

z00100

I need to migrate to a new server!
« on: February 28, 2002, 10:55:51 AM »
I right now am running a Athlon Classic 550 Mhz (512K Cache).......

I have been hosting bulletin boards for various ppl and friends, and right now I have over 500,000 individual messages.  My server is getting sluggish and unbearable.

Right now my configuration is........

Athlon 550
Gigabyte GA7VX mobo
512 PC-133 SDR
20 Gig WD 7200RPM HDD
(the rest is just generic crap)

I recently purchased an Athlon 1.4Ghz for real real cheap and all the goodies to go with it.

My question is.........

1.  Will e-smith just work if I plug the existing hdd into the new machine (I think it might not work, but I could be wrong)
2.  How well does the backup to desktop in the e-smith manager work?  Will it completely copy over my mySQL tables and everything I had/have in the computer?
3.  If the e-smith-manager backup to desktop doesn't work.......how can I go about upgrading my machine?

TIA!

NickR

Re: I need to migrate to a new server!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2002, 08:01:05 PM »
1) Yes it will - may need to re-define NIC usage if you have 2
2) Look in the .tar and see!  Short answer is it backs up MySQL, user dirs & I-bays.  It _doesn't_ backup any extra packages you have installed.

sander

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2002, 10:09:53 PM »
I am thinking of upgrading my server from sme 5 to 5.1.2

Backup to desktop and restore from desktop for these two versions don't differ in any way? as i run a small forum too and i hate to loose all the data from it.

thanks for any help

sander

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2002, 02:42:00 PM »
How well did You do?

I just finished restoring and saw there were no mysql databases restored or even backuped. Strange!!

I installed sme on anothe disk so my last installation is still awailable.
How can i mount it now? it is on my third scsi disk and when i installed on that disk the disk was primary and it created boot and swap and system partitions. HOw can i now mount the old system partition to some ibay or anywhere to copy the old mysql tables to the new server.

thanks for any help

sander