Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SMTP question

C. L. Gray

SMTP question
« on: February 28, 2002, 05:34:55 AM »
I am currently using SME 5 on a small 'test' server in our office to troubleshoot email problems prior to going live on a larger server later this year.

I have to admin email for around 500 people. Most people only use company email inside the LAN but we have an entire division of sales people outside the LAN who use a variety of ISP's to check their POP email via Outlook Express, etc.

My problem is that -- as I have it configured now -- the SME server will not allow these people to reply or forward email outside the LAN. I read in the manual that this was to prevent SPAM and I respect that, but, I really need for these people to be able to send mail via the smtp.mopdrop.com server that I am using.

Is there a way to adjust the config to allow this without completely opening up smtp to relaying/spamming?

Thanks,

Chris G.

Dean Mumby

Re: SMTP question
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2002, 01:39:22 PM »
You could try setting up the users who need mail delivered outside the lan by specifying that email be delivered locally and forwarded to their email at the isp. This way everyone will have  name@yourdomain email address and they will all get their mail.

Good Luck
Dean

Chris

Re: SMTP question
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2002, 08:15:17 PM »
Look at some of the Authenticated SMTP patches for qmail.  Here is another thread about getting it to work with E-Smith.

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=12779.msg48118#msg48118

You other choice, which is easy to implement, is to have them VPN in to send mail.