Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Printer Share

Paul

Printer Share
« on: February 24, 2002, 11:41:18 PM »
Hi,

I tried to install the printer drivers for Windows in the PRINT$ share under a 5.0 server following the instructions at http://www.familybrown.org/howtos/samba-print-howto.html using a Windows 2000 Professional workstation. I could never install the drivers from the additional drivers box, getting the error:

"Unable to install the Intel, Windows 2000 driver. Operation could not be completed."

All the permissions seemed to be set correctly and I was loged into the Win2K system as admin (with Windows Administrative group set).

I gave up trying to install the drivers until I upgraded to 5.1.2, however I still have the same problem.

Has anyone found a way around this problem?

Thanks

Bruce

Re: Printer Share
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2002, 05:57:49 AM »
Paul,

I'm not real clear, but . . .

Are you trying to install a Windows driver on the Linux server?  If so, here's the solution.

Don't!  Simply set up the printer for RAW, and install the drivers on the workstations as Network (not shared) printers.

Dan Brown

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2002, 06:27:15 AM »
Bruce,

NT PDCs support a feature where the windows printer drivers can be stored on the server, so you don't have to install them on each workstation.  Samba 2.2.x also supports this feature, but I don't know if it's implemented in SME 5.1.2.  I got it mostly working using the HOWTO referenced above (I wrote it), but even then it wasn't 100%, and I don't know much more than is in that document.

Ryan

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2002, 08:44:01 AM »
You could create an ibay on the SME server and store the printer drivers in a folder with read for everyone, so when you set up a the printer on a windows machine, simply direct it to that share with "have disk" option.