Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

restore question

Patrick Hickey

restore question
« on: February 21, 2002, 07:55:45 PM »
Server is latest build.

Backup to disk performed.

If I rebuild the server from scratch, but this time invoke software RAID, will the restore perform properly or must the backup be perfomed on a RAID-enabled server to begin with?

thanks.

regards,

patrick

Robert Boerner

Re: restore question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2002, 12:21:07 AM »
In theory, (normal caveats apply), it should not matter. You are in essence backing up only important configuration files and data.

When you rebuild with RAID1, and finish the load, when you do the restore, you are only putting those same files back. The backup to desktop does not copy lilo.conf are any other file that might be affected by the software RAID setup. It should "just work". YMMV.

Patrick Hickey

Re: restore question
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2002, 01:21:19 AM »
Followup - to reiterate the scenario,...

* a backup to disk from a non-RAID configured server

* a newly built server with RAID enabled

* a restore from desktop to this newly built server - FAILED in the following manner...
          - the restore (to the first disk??) took around 16 minutes and the web admin paged tracked the items as they were restored nicely
          - the machine then went into deep space and the disk light was on for the next 45 minutes. No status change on the admin web page, no message "Restore Complete"

I blew it away and rebuilt using RAID again, after hand configuiring it all back together I backed up to disk. I have't bothered trying to restore THIS version  ;-)

patrick