Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

HELP! Squid is blocking external access

David Mendoza

HELP! Squid is blocking external access
« on: February 19, 2002, 12:46:58 AM »
I just installed the new release of SME E-smith server.  However, I can't get to the server from the outside - either via the IP or the URL.  I've check the server settings for Server-gateway and no external proxy has been registered.  It's the same configuration as an old 4.X version I had.  I had this problem with 5.0 as well.  Any ideas.  I'm pretty sure it's the Squid as I get this when I look at the IP from the inside (I get nothing from the outside):

ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While trying to retrieve the URL: http://68.49.178.220/

The following error was encountered:

Connection Failed
The system returned:
    (111) Connection refused
The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.

Your cache administrator is admin@alexius.net.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Generated Mon, 18 Feb 2002 15:40:36 GMT by cj710130-b.alexius.net (Squid/2.3.STABLE4)
Before I get into the changing the settings in Squid from command line - anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks!!!

Des Dougan

Re: HELP! Squid is blocking external access
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2002, 01:02:32 AM »
Are you sure your ISP isn't blocking port 80? I can ping your IP but not connect to it.

Des Dougan

David Mendoza

Re: HELP! Squid is blocking my external access
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2002, 01:27:00 AM »
Des,
Thanks for the quick response.  I use Comcast Cable - a friend of mine also running an E-Smith server has the same service and works fine.  I do have a call out to the ISP per your suggestion.  However, when I hit the IP address from within my network - behind the server - I get the above listed error which leads me to believe its the server and not the ISP.  
THANKS!

Lloyd Keen

Re: HELP! Squid is blocking my external access
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2002, 03:00:26 PM »
Run ifconfig from the console and find out what your external IP is ....now compare that to what e-smith thinks it is under Review configuration in the e-smith manager. Are they the same? If not you need to edit the file /home/e-smith/configuration find the line that says ExternalIP=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and change the value to reflect the output from ifconfig. Then do /etc/rc.d/init.d/masq restart and finally /sbin/e-smith/signal-event console-save.