Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Question on RAID

Adam

Question on RAID
« on: February 15, 2002, 09:11:21 PM »
Hello there,

maybe someone(s) out there can offer a little advice.

I want to be able to build in some redundancy to a server I am about to install 5.1.2 onto.

I am currently using 5.1.2 on another machine but want to move it to a bigger and better one.

I will have 2 x 30gb Drives in the new one.

Do I simply "backup" the old server to the desktop. Set up SME512 on the new one using the RAID option and then restore the data ?

Does that pick up all the data - i.e. Mail, Config, and anything on the Samba share that gets created by default.

sorry for my ignorance but I'm new at Linux/SME etc etc etc.

cheers,

Adam

Steve L

Re: Question on RAID
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2002, 11:48:39 PM »
From what I understand a backup to the Desktop is limited to 2GB of data. The best bet is to do a backup to tape and verify it then restore to new server. Any modifications not contained in an iBay will be lost.

Robert Boerner

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2002, 05:40:15 PM »
The backup to desktop is not limited to 2gb, rather some operating systems limit the file size to 2gb. A FAT32 partition on Win9X or NTFS partition on WinXP/2000 should not run into this problem.

unknown

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2002, 06:32:18 PM »
Well hate to say but we have over 4GB's of data and we cant backup to desktop even tho it is FAT32 it is in fact that the MICROSOFT OS's cant handle more than 2GB of data

That is FACT we have tried this backup process number of times on different OS's and still no joy

Dan Brown

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2002, 06:58:15 PM »
Well, "unknown", I hate to dispute your "FACTs", but I have backed up ~9GB to my desktop machine running Win2k.  However, I was using an NTFS drive, not FAT32.