Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

100% CPU usage

Jaime Nebrera

100% CPU usage
« on: January 09, 2002, 09:02:28 PM »
Hi all,

I have a PII 300 Mhz as a home server, ESGS 4.1.2 and e-smith-monitor installed.

Today I have found that during a very long time (untill rebooted) the cpu utilization was 100%. I run top and see mc is using all the CPU, what's wrong? (sorry I didn't verufy if there was a zombie mc arround)

Any help would be really appreciated?

Rich Lafferty

Re: 100% CPU usage
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2002, 09:20:00 PM »
Zombies won't use CPU; after all, they're not a process, just a process table entry. The process has already terminated.

The easiest way to see what's consuming CPU is to run "top" and look at
the top of the list. Be sure to watch for a while -- don't just take the first
process you see.

-Rich

John Danile

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2002, 09:20:13 PM »
Isn't mc --> Midnight Commander?

Anyway, it comes standard with e-smith 4.1.2... that's for sure.  Maybe a reinstall would help.

What do you logs say?

Jaime Nebrera

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2002, 01:36:15 AM »
Ok, this time it was top itselt. I saw again a 100% usage and ran top. There were 2 top processes running. One was 84 minutes old, ? tty, and 97% CPU usage. I killed it and all went back to normal. The problem is I dont know why this top process was running.

There is nothing in the logs that could help.

Any idea? Some help?

Kelvin

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2002, 09:47:46 AM »
A short while back I posted that I was also experiencing a situation where my SME server was running at close to 100% CPU util. I didn't actually get any replies to my post back then so I was forced to try and track down the problem myself. The messages log indicated something about masq being unable to find a free entry or something (I forget ... human memory, what a wonderful thing). Anyway, I noticed there were lots of activity on the LAN (via the lights on the hub) and tracked it down to one workstation.

Ran a full virus scan and found a virus (trojan actually) and killed it. Funny, NAV2002 was running and always kept updated yet did not prevent the system from being infected or detect that the trojan was running until I did a manual scan. Somehow, the trojan was trying something, I know not what. In any case, problem solved when the trojan died.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Kelvin