Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

rt8139c support

A.Scott Pringle

rt8139c support
« on: December 17, 2001, 04:58:11 PM »
Hi all,
I tried to upgrade my network card from a rt8029 card to a rt8139c card.
it would work. a vanilla rt8139 is fine but the c version doesnt seem to do a thing , it picks up the right driver when configuring, but the driver seems to not like the c. I can ping the 192.168.1.1 but no other box on the lan.
I am running essg/mitel v5.0 update 3.
I have a cable modem attached to an smc1211tx 8139 card this works fine.
anyone have any ideas or know what needs to be done to the driver to fix this?

T.I.A.
Scott

Filippo Carletti

Re: rt8139c support
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2001, 10:12:11 PM »
What driver are you using ? SME autodetects rtl8139, but you should use 8139too.
Change /home/e-smith/configration EthernetDriver0=8139too and then /sbin/e-smith/expand-template /etc/modules.conf
reboot

DJ_Ramjet99

Re: rt8139c support
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2001, 05:06:45 AM »
Arrgh, these cards !!! I am building a server for a school (first one I have done for someone else) and have been through 4 different cards in 2 hours (had 2 realtek 8139c's working fine, then plugged in another box and bam ! lost one card !!!).
Anyway, I swapped in another identical realtek (after trying some other cards , including tulip chipset @ nci.nk (or somehting like that)) and back up and working again.  The only problems I have ever had with e-smith were with network cards suddenly deciding that working was no longer part of their mandate. They would show up for selection in the console, and even appear in ifconfig and would be pingable but would NOT work. I spent 2 hours last night stuffing around with cards..grrr!!!
Anyway, end result is that if one card does not work, swap in another and see if that does work...no rhyme or reason, just the way it is :(