Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Drive Size Problem??

Tim

Drive Size Problem??
« on: January 21, 2001, 04:19:41 AM »
I've already installed E-smith on an older machine with a 10 gig drive. It works just great. I've been trying to install the software on another machine, and this time I'm putting on a 45 gig drive. The problem I have is this: I formatted the drive using the Maxtor utility provided with the drive. It seemed to recognize it as a 45 gig drive. All seems to go well. After I've installed the E-smith software, it appears that I only have 10.9 gigs available for storage in the IBay, I've created. I've checked this from both Macs and PCs on my network. I realize that the drive has been partitioned by E-smith, but, I certainly didn't expect this kind of loss. When I've done this on W98 pcs this seems to work just fine.

My BIOS is up-to-date, but this is a 97 model Dell Optiplex. Have I done something incorrectly in formatting?

Any adivce would be appreciated.

Tim

J-L Boers

Re: Drive Size Problem??
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2001, 08:11:56 AM »
Tim,
Forget about the maxtor utility for a bit. What does your BIOS report the drive size as? When the DELL boots and you see the messages pop up right after you start the box, does it report the drive as 10GB or 45 GB?

J-L

Charlie Brady

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2001, 08:23:18 AM »
Tim wrote:

> I've already installed E-smith on an older machine with a 10
> gig drive. It works just great. I've been trying to install
> the software on another machine, and this time I'm putting on
> a 45 gig drive. The problem I have is this: I formatted the
> drive using the Maxtor utility provided with the drive.

I'd advise you to follow the Maxtor instructions for removing that software. It is much more likely to cause problems than to help.

> It
> seemed to recognize it as a 45 gig drive. All seems to go
> well. After I've installed the E-smith software, it appears
> that I only have 10.9 gigs available for storage in the IBay,
> I've created. I've checked this from both Macs and PCs on my
> network.

Some versions of PC software have problems reporting the full free space. I don't know about Macs though. To verify whether the problem is really on the server, log into the server as root (see the FAQ for instructions) and run the command:

df -h

There are problems with e-smith version 4.0 on some hardware with disks over 32MB. This might be what you are seeing. This will no longer be a problem when 4.1 is released, which won't be too long now. I suggest that you backup your data and reinstall when 4.1 comes out.

Regards

Charlie

Tim

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2001, 08:07:10 PM »
Thanks for your advice, Charlie. I checked the machine's BIOS, once again. It was set to 46 gigs for the drive. So, I don't think the Maxtor formatting is an issue.

I did as you suggested and checked for actual drive space. It said that I had the following:

/hda6    11gig size   220meg used 10gig available
/hda1    15gig size    2.6meg used 12gig available

Obviously, something isn't right here. Should I do as you've suggested and just wait till 4.1 comes out?

Tim

Robert

Re: Email From other Server
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2001, 07:52:06 AM »
I would like to connect to my ISP mail server using outlook please help me