Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Burning a CD on a Windows 95 system

Vanco Ordanoski

Burning a CD on a Windows 95 system
« on: July 01, 1999, 02:08:12 AM »
I downloaded the "alternative" installation pack (as a directory). But, I only have a CD burner which works on Win95. I made the CD for install, the system boots from the floppy, but when it tries to access the CDROM, nothing happens. I tried to access the CDROM from DOS, and it works fine. Is there a way to burn the CD on a Win95 system?

Kim Morrison

Re: Burning a CD on a Windows 95 system
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 1999, 02:25:18 AM »
Hi Vanco!  For Windows, the safer bet is to download the Kit version and uncompress and untar it (using WinZip or equivalent). Then burn the CDROM from the e-smith-2.03-cdrom.iso image file.  You can create the boot floppy using the rawrite.exe program available at various sites on the internet (from the e-smith-2.03-floppy.img file). Best of luck!

Vanco Ordanoski

Re: Burning a CD on a Windows 95 system
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 1999, 01:52:49 PM »
Hi, Kim
It worked! I downloaded the "kit" version and burned the ISO image on the CD. After booting from floppy (it wouldn't boot from the CD itself, though, but never mind) everything wenth smooth and installed fine. However, I'm experiencing some difficulties accessing the Internet, so I guess I'll have to pay for the support at e-smith. Thanks for the tip.