Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

"MP3 jukebox" for avi/mpeg movies

xaadia

"MP3 jukebox" for avi/mpeg movies
« on: November 02, 2001, 12:57:29 PM »
I was wondering if there is MP3 jukebox like program for movies in .avi or .mpg format.

Luke Drumm

Re: "MP3 jukebox" for avi/mpeg movies
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2001, 01:31:09 PM »
Hi,

I know it's possible to configure andromeda (http://www.turnstyle.com/andromeda) to list any files one desires.

One thing to note is that this program doesn't actually 'stream' anything itself. It's merely providing access to the files. This means if the files you're providing aren't 'streamable' then the client software will tend to download the files completely before playing (instead of playing as they 'stream').

If you want to stream files that wouldn't normally be 'streamable' , then you'll need to invest in some proper streaming server software.

From the 'free' (as in beer) world, www.freshmeat.net is probably a good place to start looking. Search keywords such as 'icecast' and 'shoutcast' would be my fist choice.

Commercially, Real Server tends to a popular choice.

Regards,
Luke

Norrie

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2001, 01:35:39 PM »
Hi,

I looked at the Andromeda stuff yesterday.  It looks very nice.  I'm not sure how to install it on my e-smith box though.  Any ideas anyone

Thanks

N.

glc

Re:
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2001, 08:10:58 PM »
Place the script in a world accessible (if you want to serve files over the ineternet) or LAN accessible folder and point your browser to it.  Eitherway, I'd create an i-bay for it an setup the i-bay accordingly.

See here for conifguration options: http://www.turnstyle.com/andromeda/manual.asp

Robin Dunn

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2001, 04:14:14 AM »
> I looked at the Andromeda stuff yesterday.  It looks very
> nice.  I'm not sure how to install it on my e-smith box
> though.  Any ideas anyone

It's VERY easy.  Create an ibay named jukebox (or whatever), and set the "Execution of dynamic content (CGI, PHP, SSI):" item to enabled.  Drop andromeda.php in the ibay's html folder (I renamed mine to index.php) and then copy your MP3s and other media into subfolders of the ibay's html folder, however you want them organized.

--Robin

Norrie

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2001, 04:51:32 PM »
Thanks for the help.  It works just fine
N.