Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

php upgrade problems again

Adam

php upgrade problems again
« on: October 08, 2001, 05:53:56 AM »
Ok here I go again using dan browns updated php upgrade...(found on mailing list). I did verbatim what was asked ]
download packages.
[root@e-smith /root]# cd /path/to/downloaded/files
[root@e-smith /root]# rpm -Uvh *
[root@e-smith /root]# pico /etc/php.ini
display_errors and set that to Off. (did that as well)
Since I am new to linux and pico i did control X to save and exit and wrote file as php.ini in the /etc/ directory.
And I am **pretty sure** I restarted my web server

Cool great run my little phpinfo script..
ok php works ldap mysql etc working great.
Add phpmyadmin and get it working
I add my website (myphpnuke based)
cool every thing works
Several hours later i go to look up my web site and nothing but a blank page.
So run phpinfo script again.
ok php works....
but no mysql, ldap..etc.
Ok hit the shell
rpm -q php...-mysql. i686 (shortened )
rpm not installed
same thing with ldap, msql, etc. and the php 4.06 packages downloaded. but phpinfo shows 4.06-10.
I have no idea whats going on. This was on a fresh install.. I dont beleive I had updated the blades to the second fix.
Also is it possible that by not restarting the web server that these things are working.

**** some additional info**** All rpms were dl's to a windoze box and then ftp'd in binary form to server.
****server info***
p3 450 mhz 1 gig ram 18 gig 10,000 rpm seagate scsi hard drive.
stand realtek network card working great.

The support here is great and I hope that i have provided enough info. I hope I can get this updated because I want to use things like my e- gallery and such. Thanks again.

Dan Brown

Re: php upgrade problems again
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2001, 06:10:06 AM »
So you're saying that at one point, phpinfo showed all the modules working, and later, without changing anything, it doesn't?  Doesn't make much sense.

What happens when you do 'rpm -q php-mysql'?  Don't add the version or anything else, just php-mysql.

If you take a look at /etc/php.ini, is there a place that says 'extension = mysql.so'?

If you try restarting httpd (with '/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd-e-smith restart'), what does the phpinfo page say then?

What is the output of 'rpm -qa | grep php'?

Adam

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2001, 02:57:26 AM »
ok did everything as asked. All rpms installed. The rpm -qa grep | php showed all of my php files. Now I did see a brief warning while php was updating. It said something to the effect that php.ini was renamed to php.ini.rpmnew. Now after the restart I had no ldap, imap and mysql. I looked in my php.ini file and it sowed all the modules UN commented like they should be. but for some reason it was still showing just the basic info in my test php file. I went back and looked an the php.ini.rpm new and it had only 17 lines. I figured it was just the basic setup.
so i rename my php.ini to php.ini.rpmnew2 and changed php.ini.rpmnew to php.ini. restart server, test php files and still no modules. So i renamed the php.ini.rpmbackup file to php.ini and reloaded and poof it all works fine. nd it is showing version 4.06. Maybe i have a flaky system or what i dont know but I will keep and eye on it. I have done several http restarts and it is still working fine nest I will do a full power down and cold boot to see it anything funny happens.
thanks for the advice. Also dan as a member of the devolopemnt team if you feel curious and want to check out my system personally you can feel free just drop me an e-mail
thanks for the quick support

Adam

Adam

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2001, 02:59:09 AM »
ok did everything as asked. All rpms installed. The rpm -qa grep | php showed all of my php files. Now I did see a brief warning while php was updating. It said something to the effect that php.ini was renamed to php.ini.rpmnew. Now after the restart I had no ldap, imap and mysql. I looked in my php.ini file and it sowed all the modules UN commented like they should be. but for some reason it was still showing just the basic info in my test php file. I went back and looked an the php.ini.rpm new and it had only 17 lines. I figured it was just the basic setup.
so i rename my php.ini to php.ini.rpmnew2 and changed php.ini.rpmnew to php.ini. restart server, test php files and still no modules. So i renamed the php.ini.rpmbackup file to php.ini and reloaded and poof it all works fine. nd it is showing version 4.06. Maybe i have a flaky system or what i dont know but I will keep and eye on it. I have done several http restarts and it is still working fine nest I will do a full power down and cold boot to see it anything funny happens.
thanks for the advice. Also dan as a member of the devolopemnt team if you feel curious and want to check out my system personally you can feel free just drop me an e-mail
thanks for the quick support

Adam

Dan Brown

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2001, 09:37:37 PM »
I should probably clarify here that I am not, and have never been, a member of the development team--I tinker with e-smith/SME to add features I want, and have recently started documenting how to add some of those features, but I don't work for Mitel.

As to the problem with the php.ini, I'm not sure why it would be happening this way, but if it seems to be working properly now, I don't know that I'd worry about it.