Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

client having problem connect to internet

zainal

client having problem connect to internet
« on: July 03, 2001, 06:38:32 PM »
I still new with e-smith server. I need some expert advice in here.
I setting up a e-smith server to act as Gateway to internet; test the e-smith connection OK. Test to client ok but only for a few minutes then the client can't ping to external. I'm using DHCP from win2k server for all my client. I did try with static IP still a same problem. Do i need to add or change the routing address ?

Thank you in advance

Alejandro

Re: client having problem connect to internet
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2001, 09:05:52 PM »
You can't have two dhcp servers on the same segment so
You  should keep the IP assignement range of your win2k dhcp server betwen the limits permited by staticaly assigned ip on e-smith server and disable dhcp service on e-smith.
but in your case I would probably asign a separate network segment for your e-smith box and tell all the clients where the gateway is (ip address of your box)

I prefer using dhcp service from e-smith, it really works better than w2k one. and is easier to manage.
Hope this help.
Alejandro

zainal

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2001, 06:23:20 AM »
Hi Alejandro

Thank for the suggestion, For your info I already disable the DHCP services on e-smith. I need to used Win2k DHCP (need to assign DNS, wins server address auto).
My Client will lost the connection to Internet after a few minute but when I release new IP address it Ok back. When the connection lost the client still can ping internal network but not the external (router,gateway, internet).
I did a test lab with 5 computer connected to e-smith randomly it OK with Win2k been DHCP server but when I put on deployment (with 20-40 clients) the connection problem occur.
Do i need to change IP forwarding/routing ?

Thanks

Alejandro

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2001, 06:58:51 PM »
You should consider again, which services will e-smith server provide to your lan and wich ones will be provided by win2k server; you are losing internet connection because there could be a problem with the DNS server or the gateway IP routing of your lan.
I still dont understand something, If your only gateway to internet is the e-smith box, then why you need dns service for your lan?
you are using both: wins name resolution and DNS resolution, and that can be confusing (in your case in fact it is)
Win2k keeped wins resolution just for backward compatibility but with the release of win2k is obvious that the goal is replace wins and netbios names with DNS and host names/IP address.
If you have many clients or servers running win NT 3.51 or win 3.11 you will still need wins If that is your scenario you can still use dns service of e-smith and wins service from WIN server
you will have to change lan configuration of tcp/ip protocol on each client to reach dns service and gateway at e-smith's internal NIC IP address.

In my opinion (not remotely an expert, of course) thats why you are loosing connection, you can ping internally cause you are on the same network segment asigned by your dhcp but your dns server (win) is not working as expected.
e-smith has an excellent dns server, and you can still use both but you will probably notice a little perfomance decrease and more configuration time per client.

Hope this help