Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Question regarding BSD/E-SMITH

z00100

Question regarding BSD/E-SMITH
« on: June 28, 2001, 07:54:50 PM »
Before I start, I just want to say that I have no intention on starting a OS flame war.

I've been using e-smith quite happily for almost a year now.  The system performs quite well, and is fast, and stable!  Kudos to the e-smith team on such an amazing product.

I consider myself a fairly experienced linux user, I'm no uber l33t linux dude, but I can get by 90% of the time.

Lately I have been reading quite a lot about BSD.  I must confess that I haven't used BSD ever before, but I might try to do so one of these days.

My question is......

A lot of places are saying that BSD is "better" than Linux for a server environment.  They even have benchmarks and such to prove it.  Even I know that the TCP/IP stack of BSD is more superior to Linux.

What are the chances that the e-smith team would even consider looking at migrating to BSD.  

If yes, then please tell me what are you guys doing about it and have done about it so far.....

If no, then could you explain me why not?  (Just so that I know, it's a curiosity thing).

Thanks all!!!  Either way, if e-smith doesn't switch to BSD it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Graeme Robinson

Re: Question regarding BSD/E-SMITH
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2001, 05:25:52 AM »
I would say there's little chance of this happening as the integration of e-smith with redhat is very tight.