Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

The future of e-smith

z00100

The future of e-smith
« on: May 01, 2001, 06:38:21 PM »
I'm quite proud as to how e-smith has progressed and is now a mature and stable product.

I have several suggestions in mind though......

How about creating a distribution that is compiled for i586 and higher?

For example, Linux Mandrake is quite a good web server because all the binaries are compiled with 32-bit optimizations, and a Mandrake server holds very well against some aggressive web testing.

Also, how about implementing ReiserFS as the native filesystem?  It's journalled, it's fast, and it's stable.

The e-smith-manager screen looks dated now and needs a bit of sprucing up.

Also, how about implementing the 2.4.x series Kernel?  It has better stability, and much more improved SMP support.  I am running my e-smith on a Abit BP6 with Dual Celeron 550's and I could use better SMP capabilities.

Other than that, e-smith is good, in fact it's VERY GOOD, it does the job and does it damned well.

Ross Laver

Re: The future of e-smith
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2001, 09:03:00 PM »
>how about implementing the 2.4.x series Kernel?

We certainly will, in time. But there are a number of reasons why this wouldn't be advisable now. Please see:

http://www.e-smith.com/FAQ/#q26

Ross

Mike Smith

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2001, 07:26:36 AM »
I agree.  This product has preformed Great! for me.  I have a friend that runs it on a p-100 little slow but it makes use of any system.  Keep up the good work!
P.S.
I agree with some new additions to e-smith such as: Making a screen that shows the sytems spec and resoureces left(I know there is on but it should be standard), There should be some easy addon to support ASP more easily, there may be a use oh different builds to support a range of CPU's.(Example: e-smith 4.1.2-100-266, e-smith 4.1.2-300-500 you get the point, varible speeds pre configured).  The cobalt interface is a neat interface my cousin works @ an ISP so i'am famillar w/ those.  Besides that E-Smith Is GREAT!!!  

NEWBIES TRY IT NOW>>!!!

z00100

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2001, 04:17:50 AM »
Agreed.

Perhaps e-smith can make money by selling a cobalt cube type system but using e-smith underneath the hood.

Charlie Brady

CPU optimisation (was Re: The future of e-smith)
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2001, 04:36:50 AM »
Mike Smith wrote:

> there may be a use oh
> different builds to support a range of CPU's.(Example:
> e-smith 4.1.2-100-266, e-smith 4.1.2-300-500 you get the
> point, varible speeds pre configured).

The CPU speed is a factor of hardware, not software - e-smith already runs at 266MHz on a 266MHz CPU, etc. The kernel is also already optimised for the CPU family - i386 for 386/486 CPUs, i586 for Pentium family, i686 for PII and up. And multiple CPUs are recognised and utilised automatically.

Regards

Charlie

z00100

Re: CPU optimisation (was Re: The future of e-smith)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2001, 04:38:31 AM »
Charlie Brady wrote:
>
> Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > there may be a use oh
> > different builds to support a range of CPU's.(Example:
> > e-smith 4.1.2-100-266, e-smith 4.1.2-300-500 you get the
> > point, varible speeds pre configured).
>
> The CPU speed is a factor of hardware, not software - e-smith
> already runs at 266MHz on a 266MHz CPU, etc. The kernel is
> also already optimised for the CPU family - i386 for 386/486
> CPUs, i586 for Pentium family, i686 for PII and up. And
> multiple CPUs are recognised and utilised automatically.
>
> Regards
>
> Charlie

I didn't mean kernel optimizations, I meant package optimizations

z00100

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2001, 04:40:01 AM »
Also, any bugfixes for that problem regarding upgrading to 4.1.2?

Ross Laver

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2001, 06:05:25 AM »
>Perhaps e-smith can make money by selling a cobalt cube type system but using e-smith underneath the hood.

I'm curious -- what would you define as a Cobalt Qube-type system? Bear in mind that the Qube represents proprietary software running under a closed, proprietary system. The e-smith server and gateway does what the Qube does (and more), but is open, extensible and runs on any standard PC, so it's less expensive and easier to maintain, among other benefits. The founders of e-smith considered a Qube-type solution (before there was such a thing as the Cobalt Qube) but realized it would be far better for users if the entire system was as open as the operating system (Linux) on which it was based. I think most of our users would agree with that decision.

Ross

Jason Judge

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2001, 09:16:16 PM »
Absolutely!