Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

cablevision Cablemodem timout

Aaron Held

cablevision Cablemodem timout
« on: April 26, 2001, 03:30:13 AM »
I am trying to connect via a 3Com cable modem on the Cablevision network in NJ with no luck.  The dhcpcd keeps timing out, I increased the timout setting and played with some other hostname options but no luck.

Has anyone else experinced this?

I checked the command line being called by /sbin/ifup and it seems that it is always calling dhcpcd with a switch -h accountname entry

I went through the DHCP How-To's without much luck.

Any pointers?

Thanks,
-Aaron Held

Aaron Held

Re: cablevision Cablemodem timout - Solved
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2001, 08:16:44 PM »
I woke up this morning and the eSmith connected to the cable modem the first time.

I was plugging my laptop directly into the modem and renewing the DHCP lease fairly often to go online and read something.  When I do that eSmith cannot obtain a response. If I unplug the modem for a few minutes (not just a few seconds) everything works fine.

Thanks
-Aaron

Gordon Rowell

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2001, 04:42:06 AM »
Aaron Held wrote:
>
> I woke up this morning and the eSmith connected to the cable
> modem the first time.

Naturally. We have hundreds of people all over the world on various cable modem systems working perfectly.

> I was plugging my laptop directly into the modem and renewing
> the DHCP lease fairly often to go online and read something.
> When I do that eSmith cannot obtain a response. If I unplug
> the modem for a few minutes (not just a few seconds)
> everything works fine.

The cable system uses DHCP, and will remember the MAC address of your laptop. You are lucky it is a few minutes - it is frequently many hours/days before your lease will expire.

Let e-smith handle the cable modem, and put your laptop on the e-smith internal interface.

Gordon

Aaron Held

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2001, 06:04:22 PM »
Your right,
if I release the lease from the laptop it works much better.

I built the server at work and tested it against a netware DHCP server, I needed to bring it home to test the cable modem.  

Thanks again,
-Aaron