Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

ppp: recieve buffer, count .....

Andy Doran

ppp: recieve buffer, count .....
« on: February 19, 2001, 05:57:03 AM »
Hello everyone I am quite new to all this, so treat me gently. :-)

I have just upgraded e-smith from 4.0 to 4.1.1 and it seems to be working great as a router except that /var/log/messages is being filled with errors such as:-

e-smith kernel:   ppp: receive buffer, count = 123

and then what looks like a hex dump of all the web pages I view.  The hardisc is constantly active when I download something, presumably as the server writes these logs?

This has only happened since the upgrade.  Hope you can help me.  Thankyou,

Andy

Charlie Brady

Re: ppp: recieve buffer, count .....
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2001, 06:15:17 AM »
Andy Doran wrote:

> I have just upgraded e-smith from 4.0 to 4.1.1 and it seems
> to be working great as a router except that /var/log/messages
> is being filled with errors such as:-
>
> e-smith kernel:   ppp: receive buffer, count = 123
>
> and then what looks like a hex dump of all the web pages I
> view.

This indicated that the PPP daemon has been started with the "kdebug" option, with a value of 2, 3 or 7. The standard e-smith installation does
not use the kdebug option - are you sure that your installation is standard and unmodified?

Charlie

Andy Doran

Re: ppp: recieve buffer, count .....
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2001, 05:16:24 PM »
Hi there!

Thanks for your reply.  I got it sorted, cheers.

At the moment I am manually dialing-up my ISP, and I was following instructions that I picked up for this supposedly to get the thing to work.  I just typed in what this guy said, including kdebug 25. :-) .  Somehow it didn't mess up on the previous version.  Teaches me a lesson though.

I don't really understand how this command I am typing works anyway, here it is, could you point me towards some info on getting e-smith to dial-out automatically with this?:-

pppd connect 'chat -v "" \~X\~ \~' updetach debug default-asyncmap crtscts defaultroute lock noipdefault lcp-echo-interval 0 /dev/modem 115200

(BTW I am using a weird ADSL service through a serial connection to a VOD settop box, if you wondered why no phone number? :-) )

It is not critical really, since the connection stayed up for over a week until I rebooted last time, much better than LRP ever managed.  Thanks for your time and for e-smith, which I can't praise highly enough.

Ta,
Andy