Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Suing the HPT 370 IDE RAID controller

berzek

Suing the HPT 370 IDE RAID controller
« on: February 12, 2001, 04:01:11 PM »
I know that the kernel version in esmith 4.1b4 does not reconize this controller being based on the RH7 distro kernel 2.2.16xx. But the mandrake distro 7.2 does reconoze this controller based on the kernel version 2.2.17xx.

I tried to use the mandrake kernek directly into the boot up floopy but its seems like initrd is running into a problem when it has to create the /dev/procs I guess (will try to get the specific error asap)

Instead how is it possible to upgrade the kernel onto the boot disk so that durning the preinstallation before the ks starts up it can reconize the hdd attached to the HPT 370 controller. The HPT 370 controller is very famous here in Italy and we have many motherboards based on it too. It is a poor mans solutition to the RAID world of security.

Charlie Brady

Install disk kernel Re: Suing the HPT 370 IDE RAID controlle
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2001, 04:21:58 PM »
berzek wrote:

> Instead how is it possible to upgrade the kernel onto the
> boot disk so that durning the preinstallation before the ks
> starts up it can reconize the hdd attached to the HPT 370
> controller.

That's really quite a difficult task. You don't just need to change the kernel on the boot disk, you need to change the initial ramdisk, and you need to change the hardware recognition code (in anaconda, and kudzu).

Regards

Charlie

berzek

Re: Install disk kernel using the HPT 370 IDE RAID controlle
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2001, 07:53:22 PM »
ok I guess, I'll have to just wait and watch, but really is it possible with a bit of code tinkering into the anaconda stuff and kudzu that can get the initrd to set the /dev/proc well?

I'm sure it is difficult but if I can get the esmith server to run on a HPT 370 RAID ide controller that makes life a bit more easier. (also in this case note that system performance should theoritacally increase as the mirror'ed disk is written in hardware and so there is no software overhead). Also in this case copying (mirroring) from one disk to the other is simply done in hardware, with minimum instances to be controlled in software like in 'raidtools'.

Anyone who has asolutition please let it out am willing to take a try at all options available.

cheers,
aniston