Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Unable to log in to horde with admin account

Offline factory

• +0/-0
Unable to log in to horde with admin account
« on: September 22, 2011, 05:21:43 PM »
I am unable to log in to horde with admin account. I don't know if this happen after an update. Before I was able to. I need to change the permission of some shared calendar created with the admin account.

Thanks,

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
Re: Unable to log in to horde with admin account
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 01:07:58 PM »
I don't know if this enables login for admin, or simply adds functionality to the admin login:
http://wiki.contribs.org/Email#Add_the_admin_user_as_an_administrator_for_Horde

Is there anything in a log file somewhere that tells you what your server doesn't like when admin tries to login to horde?

Offline factory

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 05:43:22 PM »
>>Add_the_admin_user_as_an_administrator_for_Horde

I try this and still not working. And it was already enabled.

I am getting the standard message for wrong password. I use the same password in server-manager and its working.
Not sure if it was on 7.3 or 7.4, but it was working before.

Sep 23 10:01:20 server HORDE[3578]: [imp] FAILED LOGIN for admin [192.168.0.123] to {localhost:993 [imap/ssl/novalidate-cert]} [pid 3578 on line 139 of "/home/httpd/html/horde/imp/lib/Auth/imp.php"]

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 06:26:30 PM »
did you change your admin password?

I mean.. is your admin password the same of root's one?

try to change the password via server-manager and let us know

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 06:27:25 PM »
another question.. are you experiencing the same issue with other user?

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 06:46:27 PM »

Did someone else change it? Did you have a weak password, with SSH enabled for access from the Internet?

Offline factory

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 07:54:14 PM »

I mean.. is your admin password the same of root's one?

Admin and root are the same.

try to change the password via server-manager and let us know

I try changing admin password and no difference. server-manager works but not horde.

another question.. are you experiencing the same issue with other user?

Its only the admin user, the other user can connect to webmail

Did someone else change it? Did you have a weak password, with SSH enabled for access from the Internet?

The admin password didn't change lately. When horde was working with admin, the admin password was the same as the current password.
It is a strong password.
SSH is only enable for local network

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 01:15:51 AM »
It is a strong password.
Is it perhaps containing special characters or diacritics? This bug for instance mentions that the pound symbol in a password also causes logins to webmail to fail: http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2006#c21

If this might be the case could you perhaps (temporarily) set your password to one that does not contain special characters to see if that lets you in again? Although I am not sure if a password change is propagated to horde/webmail.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
Although I am not sure if a password change is propagated to horde/webmail.

There's nothing to propagate. Webmail authenticates by trying to make an imap connection.

The issue with characters, I think, is that IMAP is not UTF8 ready and/or webmail is doing a charset conversion. Stick with ASCII and all should work.

Offline factory

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 04:21:39 PM »
There's nothing to propagate. Webmail authenticates by trying to make an imap connection.

The issue with characters, I think, is that IMAP is not UTF8 ready and/or webmail is doing a charset conversion. Stick with ASCII and all should work.

I changed the password with the command "passwd admin" to letters and numbers. Still fails. The new password works on server-manager but not horde.

New problem: after changing the password with "passwd admin" i am unable to change the password form server-manager. I get error: The current password is incorrect.

I also used "signal-event password-modify admin"
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 04:39:09 PM by factory »

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 05:21:49 PM »
I changed the password with the command "passwd admin" to letters and numbers.

You should not have done that. root and admin passwords are now out of sync.

If you change from command line, you need to change both admin and root passwords to the same thing.

Meanwhile you still haven't properly diagnosed what is wrong, and you are changing stuff on your system, making diagnosis of the original problem even harder.

Can you log in to 'admin' IMAP mailbox from Thunderbird? That would help clarify whether it is a webmail specific problem, or is a password or IMAP issue.

Offline factory

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 05:52:15 PM »
You should not have done that. root and admin passwords are now out of sync.

If you change from command line, you need to change both admin and root passwords to the same thing.

Meanwhile you still haven't properly diagnosed what is wrong, and you are changing stuff on your system, making diagnosis of the original problem even harder.

Can you log in to 'admin' IMAP mailbox from Thunderbird? That would help clarify whether it is a webmail specific problem, or is a password or IMAP issue.

I cannot add the admin mailbox in thunberbird. wrong password

*I tried this before creating the post and the result was the same.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 05:54:50 PM by factory »

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 09:08:08 PM »

Offline factory

• +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 09:17:51 PM »
http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:FAQ#Reset_the_root_and_admin_password

set root and admin password the same and try again

Do I need to reboot the server and use " single" or I can just use "passwd root" "passwd admin" in console.
If I don't need to use " single", do I need to reboot after using "passwd root" "passwd admin".

Thanks,

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 10:24:52 PM »
Do I need to reboot the server and use " single" or I can just use "passwd root" "passwd admin" in console.
If I don't need to use " single", do I need to reboot after using "passwd root" "passwd admin".
Yes, reboot toget into single user mode and reset after changing passwords. Did you even bother to read the link? This is all in the instructions. We do not provide this information for nothing... just do as instructed.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)