Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

game server

sidney

game server
« on: March 14, 2003, 04:45:09 PM »
Hi,

Is anyone running a game server on sbe 5.6?

if so, could you tell me more about it and how it runs.
also if there is a how-to doc on setting one up.

Thanks

Lars

Re: game server
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2003, 01:54:54 PM »
I used to run Counter Strike on my SME 5.6 server.

No problems there. What game server do you want to run?

// Lars

sidney

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2003, 05:36:29 PM »
Lars,

Could you tell me what's  all available to run on the 5.6 version.

I would like to setup some game servers for the kids so that we could have a game tournament for them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Norrie

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2003, 07:17:47 PM »
Hi,

I recently installed Unreal Tournament dedicated server and Half Life, counter strike and day of defeat on SME 5.6.  The howto's here...

http://www.simsart.org/cybernews/howtos/Howto%20Install%20Unreal%20Tournament%20Server%20on%20SME%205.1.2.htm

I had problems running UT as user nobody but just ran it as root as the server was used as a private LAN server among friends so that was fine.  There are other howtos detailing the Half Life side of things which I found helpfull too.  I couldn't get pingbooster to run either and read that it isn't needed now anyway.

I installed the games software on a separated drive mounted as /games so I could just re mount it after an upgrade or if I broke the server ;¬) but you don't have to do that of course.

It runs on Athlon 800 / 256M RAM but the first time I tried it it ran well on a P166 with 98M RAM!

I also ran a Quadra server a while back which was fun.  Good luck.

BTW.  It might be cool to have a panel / RPM for e-smith 5.6 for basic game functions.  Anyone??  Don't flame me for that suggestion though! ;-)

NTB
8o)

Sidney

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2003, 04:21:15 PM »
Norrie,

Thanks for the info.

I have tried to download the dod_v31_full.tar.gz that in the how-to but is says Unauthorized Access.

Any suggestion?

Thanks again for the help.

Norrie

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2003, 04:36:50 PM »