Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Install failed, returned error "11"

e-SKape

Install failed, returned error "11"
« on: August 07, 2002, 06:21:45 PM »
Hi

Am I the only one, with and installer that crashes?

When it's almost half done with the package install it crashes with text written from the status bar and down:

Install exited abnormally -- recieved signal 11
     Sending termination signals...done
          Sending kill signals...done
                disabling swap..
                       Unmounting devices...
                              You may safely reboot your system
-----

What does it mean, and what can I do about it???

Thx in frwd
//e-SKape

e-SKape

Re: Install failed, returned error "11"
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2002, 06:29:31 PM »
Hello again.

I saw another post with the same question,
but if anyone can give me some other reasons
than "Change RAM-modules" and "Download
another ISO" then you're quite much welcome :-(

//e-SKape

Dan Brown

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2002, 06:45:45 PM »
As has probably been pointed out many times here, signal 11 almost always indicates some sort of hardware defect, most commonly in the RAM.

e-SKape

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2002, 06:50:31 PM »
D*mn... Hmm.. I'll see if I have some old RAM some place... don't even know what type of RAM it is in the machine, it's a michine I haven't touch in 6 month or so

PC:
200Mhz ?? (I'll find out)/64MB RAM/2GB HD

//e-SKape

Kees Blokland

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2002, 06:59:12 PM »
Unfortunately you hit the nail on the head, when you see messages like this it usually means there is a hardware or software problem. If you verified the MD5 sum on your iso image, then you hope the cd is ok.

Question is, can the CD reader you use in your SMEbox actually read the CD faultlessly?? (don't say yes, I've swapped many CD drives to make a stubborn system work!)

Next, just because the system was working in a windows environment, does not mean it's good for linux. Many times it is, many times you find that there are errors in your hardware, memory modules being indeed the most likely cause.
See if you can swap some, run on less/install with less memory etc..

The answer to your question is (un)fortunately really that simple. It tells you. Listen to your system!

So the short answer was: play with your hardware!

What I would do next:

Stick the diskdrive that you want to use in your SME in your most-favoured windows box. (remove/disconnect the orignal disks of course) that way you can try it on different hardware. If it installs properly, you know its your other hardware.

If not, could still be the CD, try different type/quality of CD, burn them SLOW. Always use 2 speed (it takes longer but they seem more reliable. I am speaking from a lot of experience here= other words for big bin full of blanks..)

hope this gives you some ideas..

Also, (maybe I missed this, sorry) give soem details about the hardware you use..)

have fun, and above all, don't give up after the first few tries.

kees

Charlie Brady

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2002, 07:54:10 PM »
e-SKape wrote:

> but if anyone can give me some other reasons
> than "Change RAM-modules" and "Download
> another ISO" then you're quite much welcome :-(

You could try wearing a green polka dot shirt.

If you want a *useful* answer, then:

1. Check the MD5 sum of the iso image before burning to CD, then check the MD5 sum of the CD after you have burnt it.

2. If you still get "signall 11", you almost certainly have a hardware problem.

Charlie

e-SKape

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2002, 09:29:59 PM »
Charlie Brady wrote:
>
> You could try wearing a green polka dot shirt.

Eww.... hehe

> If you want a *useful* answer, then:
>
> 1. Check the MD5 sum of the iso image before burning to CD,

thats ok

> then check the MD5 sum of the CD after you have burnt it.

How do i do that??? "md5sum f:\"  or what? That won't work (my CD is F:)

Thx again

e-SKape

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2002, 11:01:44 PM »
Wauw... Thx for that great eh... in danish the direct translated word is "grease", but it might not be the same mening in english...
Anyway...

The checksums were the same... well... Stupid me, I started calculating the checksum on the ...md5sum-file from the server... after some time, I found out to read it in a text-editor... DOH!

I've heard of the "Works on Windows, won't on Linux"-thingy before... I'll try swapping the HD's to my Windows-machine (The one im sitting in front of rigth now) so i cannot answer for ½ hour or more...

C YA

e-SKape

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2002, 11:01:48 PM »
Wauw... Thx for that great eh... in danish the direct translated word is "grease", but it might not be the same mening in english...
Anyway...

The checksums were the same... well... Stupid me, I started calculating the checksum on the ...md5sum-file from the server... after some time, I found out to read it in a text-editor... DOH!

I've heard of the "Works on Windows, won't on Linux"-thingy before... I'll try swapping the HD's to my Windows-machine (The one im sitting in front of rigth now) so i cannot answer for ½ hour or more...

C YA

e-SKape

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2002, 11:05:54 PM »
Kees Blokland wrote:

> Also, (maybe I missed this, sorry) give soem details about
> the hardware you use..)

Intel P MMX 200 MHz / 64 MB RAM (EDO) / 2 GB HD

I know it's not so d*mn fast, but it's only for test purpose... for now at least

> Have fun, and above all, don't give up after the first few
> tries.

Hehe... Thanx

> kees

//e-SKape

e-SKape

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2002, 05:42:20 AM »
To anyone that helped me in this:

It was the SCSI CDROM-drive... I swapped it with a IDE CDROM-drive... and it just swushed the installation to the disk... hehe

(to swush is a totally new word, just invented... hehe)

But it works fine now.

Thx for the help everyone

//e-SKape

Nate

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2002, 08:04:34 PM »
I ran into this error message on my SME 5.5 install--it will be a server only replacing an NT file server.  Anyway, I was using an IDE Plextor 16x10x40x drive and got the error 11.  The drive works in a windows machine just fine.  I grabbed an old 18x drive from a junked machine and it installed just fine.