Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Windows XP

Kevin

Windows XP
« on: April 27, 2002, 04:23:52 AM »
Hello,

I've set up e-smith 5.1, and all of my other computers on the local network can connect to it's mail ports 25 and 110 almost instantly.  But my Windows XP computer on the same local network takes up to 30 seconds before it connects and does anything.  All other network traffice from my Win XP box seems fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Andy MacDonald

Re: Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2002, 09:06:27 AM »
Yes. Upgrade your samba to the latest and see if that fixes it. It's a windows xp and 2000 bug. It can also be fixed by deleting the appropriate registry key.
http://www.familybrown.org/howtos/samba-upgrade-howto-2.html

Bill Talcott

Re: Windows XP
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2002, 07:07:50 PM »
Another thought, do you have the WinXP firewall enabled? Using several different software firewalls, I've found that they slow down my IMAP access times considerably. Without them, OE's "Checking Mail" screen flashes up for a fraction of a second. With any of the firewalls running, it literally takes about 30 seconds. I'm not sure if it's just because it's only a 350MHz PC, and it doesn't have the power to process the incoming packets quickly or what, but I have verified that it does it with the firewall on, and doesn't with the firewall off.