Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

ssh login time too long

Offline larieu

• +0/-0
ssh login time too long
« on: March 29, 2008, 08:25:19 AM »
Dear all
I have an SME 7 box with the latest update
it is configured as independent email server (behind a hardware router firewall)
that mean it is not the DNS for local network and also it ask for DNS resolutions from the router

I have a quite long login time to all logins
starting with the ssh continuing with mail login and finishing with ftp login
that mean after i push the "open" button in putty I need to wait around 8~10 s before Username apear
this happend even if I'm connected in the same switch
after i provide username and pass another 15~30s wait until I receive the prompter

on regular CentOS machines I solved this by bypasing DNS query in login time
but on SME if I change the related files after any signal-event ..... or reboot of the machine this are lost

if for ftp, mail and ssh I can do tricks with the clients to longer timeouts I have a problem with services on that machine which works localy (Ex. Roundcube....)

Any trick  will help
thanks
if everybody's life around you is better, probably yours will be better
just try to improve their life

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: ssh login time too long
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 08:31:15 AM »
on regular CentOS machines I solved this by bypasing DNS query in login time
but on SME if I change the related files after any signal-event ..... or reboot of the machine this are lost

if for ftp, mail and ssh I can do tricks with the clients to longer timeouts I have a problem with services on that machine which works localy (Ex. Roundcube....)

Any trick  will help
thanks
SME Server does not use the default configuration files, they are generated based on a template system. In general to make changes you will have to copy the template fragment you want to modify to a new tree and make your changes in the copied file, after that you have to regenerate the configuration file and restart affected services, more information on the template system can be found in the SME Server Developers Guide, this is the section on the template system and how to make changes to them.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 03:51:03 PM »
that mean it is not the DNS for local network and also it ask for DNS resolutions from the router

This is the source of your problem. It's a bad idea to advertise the router as knowledgable about DNS for your network when it cannot do reverse DNS resolution for the local LAN.

Using SME server as the local DNS resolver and DHCP server solves this problem.

Offline larieu

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 06:39:15 AM »
actually the router know how to solve reverse DNS for local network

for normal CentOS machine I solved this
by disabling the dns query at the start of ssh negotiation
but for this SME machine I'm not able to do it

I look for an work around
if everybody's life around you is better, probably yours will be better
just try to improve their life