Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SERVER CONECTED TO WAN USING IPoA- STATIC IP Address

Offline oscartenerife

• +0/-0
SERVER CONECTED TO WAN USING IPoA- STATIC IP Address
« on: March 25, 2008, 09:24:36 PM »
Hy:
Please sorry if this question was requested before. It is my first time on the forum, and I haven't found any answer on FAQ.
I'm running SME Server 7.3(2.6.9.67.01) in a Pentium processor.
It is configured as Server & gateway (dedicated) with two Nic´s.
I'm located at Spain ( Tenerife Canary Islands).
My ISP has IPoA (Ip over ATM) and my node number is static. WAN speed 3 Mbytes.
I've configured my router as a bridge.
Server load without problem, but can't connect to Internet.
Can any of you give a guide to start check to fix the problem.?

Sorry again if this question was already posted.

Thank you

Oscar

Offline zatnikatel

• +0/-0
Re: SERVER CONECTED TO WAN USING IPoA- STATIC IP Address
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 02:34:32 PM »
little bit more information please so we can help you
IPoA with LLC encapsulation
does your provider give you an IP and GW addresses and a subnet
is the connection type 1483 routed if so you only need to put the ip address gateway in and maybe the subnet mask

but you need to find out what type of IPoA you have

Offline oscartenerife

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 03:24:07 PM »
Replying to you questions.

Protocol .  IPoA 
Encapsulation mode: LLC/ SNAP-ROUTING
VPI 8
VCI 32
Service category: UBR without PCR
IP on WAN  StATIC
Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway IP = IP Address
Service type: IPoA_8_32
Conection is not RFC 1483.  It is IPoA (IP over ATM)

Offline zatnikatel

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 03:31:14 PM »
Ok when you setup SME what way did you setup the internet part on the install

Offline oscartenerife

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 05:20:54 PM »
external network
static ip address : my ip address already provided by my isp.
Mask :255.255.255.0 already provided by my isp
gateway ip address: here is the point. My isp has provided this address which is the same as my IP address.
But at the time I´m trying to enter this addresss in this field (gateway IP address), the system is no allowing me to put that one and in place of that remain on the default value. There is no way to change this address in my server, It always keep the default value. Don´t know why.

Then:
provide DHCP server for local network: YES
DHCP range : 192.168.35.65 (default value) up to 192.168.35.250 (also default value).
First host: 192.168.35.250
Corporate DNS server address -empty-

In my server console that is all I have to configure. No more parameters are available.

Offline zatnikatel

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 03:57:28 AM »
that the rather strange the gateway should be say a little different say your ip address was 61.23.56.89 gate way should be 61.23.56.88
that would be why no net access let me check this you mite be able to change this in the shell
on the linux box you can try this in the directory /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts there should be 2 files call ifcfg-eth0 and another one called ifcfg-eth1 you need yo edit the one that you used for the internet connection you can add the gateway in there
this is how the file looks
# Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
BROADCAST=10.5.2.255
HWADDR=00:08:54:3B:AB:FC
IPADDR=10.5.2.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=10.5.2.0
ONBOOT=yes
GATEWAY=10.5.2.254
TYPE=Ethernet

Offline arne

• +0/-4
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 05:27:46 PM »
I am using PPPoA in Norway and have used it for some years with different modems.

I would recomend to first get it working with the modem sat up in routing mode.

Then from this as a basic setup, it can be possible to trace out how the internet PPPoA line is working.

From this as a starting point it can be possible to trace out how to make it run in bridge mode. This is usually a rather difficult process.

Standard setup as provided by the isp use to be as PPPoA router, isn't this the case this time to ?

(And from the basic configuration that can be red out from the routing mode setup, it can be planned how to set it up in brigde mode.)

What is the brand and mode for the modem. (Some modems will need a new modified firmware to be able to run PPPoA bridge or semibridge mode. This were the case for my last Billion modem.)

Offline oscartenerife

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 05:37:35 PM »
Before try your recommendation, I have decided to check the complete hardware.
Specially the NIC interface 1 & 2.
Also, finally I've got from my ISP the gateway address.
In this way I've made two steps.
First the hard disk on this PC was changed installing one with windows XP in this machine.
After that, I've found that the two NIC´s where recognized.
Connecting to ISP through a D-Link 504 T router configured by my self using the gateway supplied by my ISP as a router 1483 FC LLC, navigation was possible with any of the NIC´s. As a conclusion, no doubts at all, the NICS works perfect as well as the ethernet cables, and more than that, ISP gateway is the right one. No doubts.
So, after that I´ve pulled out the XP hard disk and installed the one having the sme software.
Both NIC´s where recognized as eth0 & eth1.
etho was selected for WAN and eth1 for LAN.
Communication through LAN, was perfect, I can access server manager with no problems at all.
After this, router D-Link was reconfigured as a bridge as follows

Vpi=8
Vci=32
Virtual circuit = enabled
WAN Setting = Bridge mode
Connection type= RFC 1483 IP LLC (already checked with my ISP).

On the LAN side of the router.

Router address: 192.168.1.1
Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP: On
DHCP minimum: 192.168.1.3
DHCP Maximum: 192.168.1.254

DNS mode AUTO

SME server configured as follows:

Local LAN on eth 1
Server IP . 192.168.1.2
Mask 255.255.255.0
server & gateway dedicated
IP address: My IP static
Gateway IP: the one sugested by default by the server (that is the same to the one provided by my ISP).
Provide DHCP to local network : ON
DHCP minimum 192.168.1.3
DHCP Maximum: 192.168.1.254
DNS empty

still doesn´t work.

Swapping both NIC´s.

still doesn´t work.

Now I will try to do the changed you have suggested on the files. Any way if you see something wrong in the above description let me know.

Your help will be more that welcome.

Regards

Oscar

Offline zatnikatel

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 06:35:04 PM »
i know this is rather long but also read at the bottom first and check with your ISP

first of all turn DHCP off on the router let SME do it
your connection bridge mode may not work is it a modem router if so you the same setup as windows with the router and port forward 25 for SMTP and port 110 for POP3 you don't need the pop3 if you have your own domain with the MX records and the http sent to your ip address i remember now how 1483 LLC works you put the modem router in to that mode and type in the ip address gateway and netmask in the router and away it goes
so the setting for SME would be
just the static lan ip of the router to eth0 with it's gateway don't have SME and the Router both with DHCP on and make the DHCP range on sme 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.254 make sme 192.168.1.2 or do it the way i do it if you like make the router 192.168.1.254 and make sme 192.168.1.1 depend on how many pc you have but if only a few make it 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.80 there is way to make the modem work in bridge mode but it is more trouble than what it is worth just do the port forwarding to SME server if you do it that way with port forwarding you can make SME server only and only one nic is needed
also one last thing when you put the modem in to bridge mode all it does is route packets you should not have to worry about anything else all you should have to do is setup the setting the isp gave you in to the network card on the host system i have my normal ADSL modem in bridge mode and SME does the PPPOE i don't have to worry about the ip address of the modem router it just sends the packets of info
you can test that on windows if you like put the modem in to bridge mode and put your ISP details in to the network setting on the NIC in windows and see if the web works

Use bridged mode This is used when your modem is just a pass-through to your p.c, and the p.c. has the IP address and can manage multiple connections so the bridge mode you have set up does not sound right you should not have to worry about the IP address or anything like that

also check with your ISP and some have to change routed to bridge at there end

Offline arne

• +0/-4
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 06:50:31 PM »
I was writing some word while zatnktel was posting. (Dont lnow if you can use it to anything.)

But your information have some contradictions or unclear points.

After this, router D-Link was reconfigured as a bridge as follows

WAN Setting = Bridge mode

On the LAN side of the router.

Router address: 192.168.1.1

Is it (the router modem) set up as a bridge or a router ?

(Could be that it is running in semi brigde mode.)

SME server configured as follows:
Local LAN on eth 1
Server IP . 192.168.1.2
Mask 255.255.255.0
server & gateway dedicated
IP address: My IP static
Gateway IP: the one sugested by default by the server (that is the same to the one provided by my ISP).

Does not fit together fith the first info !?

If it works with Windows I would run it ip with Windows and then run the command "ipconfig /all" and post the output here.

Then I I would run "tracert www.vg.no" and post the firts outputs here.

By the way - if the modem were running in full bridge mode it should not be possible to log in to it at all. (But if running in semibridge it should be possible.)

For shecking how the nic's is working in Linux: "ifconfig -a eth0" and "ifconfig -a eth1"

Offline oscartenerife

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 08:34:22 PM »
arne: (also zatnktel).

Guys, may be I haven´t enough experience in Linux as well as in networking an that may be the full problem here. So some times I´m thinking if I´m not disturbing you too much without enough experience on my side. If so, please feel free to let me know.

Let me please first go step by step.

1st. I don´t know what you mean with semi-bridge. The device I have is a D-link 504 T router and you have the choice to configure it as a modem router or as a bridge.
The first I did was to configure as a modem router and at that moment running XP on the PC. Parameters setting was carried out according to my ISP specs. It works perfect as a router. ( The reason for this was basically to make sure that the parameters given by my ISP where the right ones, specially the Gateway address).

2nd. After that the 504 T was reconfigured by my self  as a  bridge. I dont´t know if it was carried out as a full bridge or semi.bridge- "how can I check that??".

The configured parameters at the 504 T in this configuration (bridge mode) were:
VPI=8
VCI=32
Virtual Circuit : Enabled
WAN setting. bridge mode
Connection type: 1483 bridged IP LLC

The xp hard disk was replaced by the one having SME.

3rd. Then I have run and  reconfigured the SME. The data I´ve got from ifconfig-a comand  logged as a root are as follow:

eth0 (lan side)
MAC 00:40:F4:8D:29:56
Inet address: 192.168.1.8
Mask :255.255.255.0
bcast: 192.168.11.255

eth1 (wan side)
MAC: 00:11:95:63:BF:A8
Inet address: " My IP STATIC ADDRESS"

Regarding your recomendation to go to www.vg.no and run tracert, well, all is in Norwegian ,since I don´t speak Norwegian  I haven´t found that "tracert".

Once ,I wish to thank you very much for your support.

Oscar

Offline e[nt]e

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 09:09:47 PM »
Regarding your recommendation to go to www.vg.no and run tracert, well, all is in Norwegian ,since I don´t speak Norwegian  I haven´t found that "tracert".

arnes's recommendation was to run the tracert command at the Windows command line. (start menu -> Run... -> type "cmd" without quotes and press enter -> type "tracert www.vg.no" again without quotes)
1984 wasn't meant to be a manual.

Offline arne

• +0/-4
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 01:35:18 AM »
About the tracert command - this moght also do it (from dos).

tracert www.laprovincia.es

When it comes to full bridge mode or semi bridge mode - with full bridge mode it will not be possible to log into the modem, as the bridge will not have any ip address. With a semi bridge mode, the bridge itself will still have a local ip address, so it is possible to log into it, while it sends the external ip into the server or gateway at the inside.

If it is a question of a semi bridge mode, then i think it will not work well to use the same logical net segment on both sides of the sme router/server/gateway.

This 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 and this 192.168.1.8/255.255.255.0 is belonging to the same subnet and can not be used on the two different sides of the SME router/gateway/server. (192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 and 192.168.2.8/255.255.255.0 could work as the digit "2" in this case will be the network number. (Network no 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0)

The easiest thing were if everything came up running as it should directly connected to Windows XP and if all the Windows network configuration and the output from dos

ipconfig /all

and

tracert www.laprovincia.es

were posted here in this forum.

I gues someone could translate this configuration datas from "windows-language" to "sme/linux-language" (=configuration.)

Offline zatnikatel

• +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 05:16:58 AM »
for what he wants to do the modem needs full bidge mode knowning the way IPoA works half bridge wont work needs to be full
he is typing in the information he got from his ISP in to the SME setup so it has to be set to full bridge mode
some one else can help here as i don't know much about Dlink modems how to set them up for full bridge mode i mainly use billion modems because they give us not to many problems

Offline arne

• +0/-4
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 01:01:24 PM »
I am using PPPoA with a modem in semi bridge mode here. Behind the semi bridge mode is at the moment a Smoothwall firewall that receives the external address. Before it used to be a SME server. Before that I used the same PPPoA connection with first a routing and then a full bridge modem.

According to my experience the semi bridge mode is working as good, and actually bether then the full bridge mode. (Because you are able to access the bridge itself for configuration etc.)

As a general rool - after 6-7-8 years with PPPoA connection and E-Smith/SME server. There has never been a single problem to transfer the configuration over from the windows test box to the SME server, if the direct connected Windows client has been working first. (The problems have been related to the modem and the PPPoA line. None of the problems have been related to the SME server itself.)

Normally it will be much more easy to set up a regular routing connection first, and then convert it over to be a bridge mode connection, using some time and collecting some datas, while running in routing mode. During the times I have sat up the PPPoA bridge mode connections, I have allways runned it in routing mode first to collect datas and to get the full picture of how the PPPoA line actually is running. Have not noticed that the semi bridge mode in any way has made things more difficult. I think it is a bether solution.

Why should a full bridge solution work bether than a semi bridge solution for that actual case ?

Answer to myself .. The only options that I can se described in the quick guide and the user manual is routing and full bridge mode.

http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DSL%2D504T#

Again .. The ISP will for sure support a Windows XP configuration. If this windows configuration is tested, written down and posted here, there should be no problem to "transfere" this configuration to a SME gateway.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 01:33:13 PM by arne »