Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

sync user and group

Offline darmasanthi

• +0/-0
sync user and group
« on: February 21, 2008, 03:36:18 AM »
Dear Community,
I has installing 2 SME 7.3,
once SME act as Domain Controller, and the other SME act as File Sharing.
My, question is, how to sync the user and group between 2 SME Server?

Regards,
darmasanthi

Offline raem

• +4/-0
Re: sync user and group
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 06:45:35 AM »
darmasanthi

There is no method yet developed for sme to automatically synchronise two running sme servers.
If you really need the functionality you could sponsor (financially) a developer to develop the feature.

There have been a few posts recently about this, and they more often refer to an earlier attempt by Hsing Foo Wang for sme5.1.2, search forums on heartbeat.

Linux generally does appear to have the required "bits & pieces" to create such a feature, but no one as yet has resolved the issues and packaged it into a complete Howto.

Offline darmasanthi

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 06:59:09 AM »
darmasanthi

There is no method yet developed for sme to automatically synchronise two running sme servers.
If you really need the functionality you could sponsor (financially) a developer to develop the feature.

There have been a few posts recently about this, and they more often refer to an earlier attempt by Hsing Foo Wang for sme5.1.2, search forums on heartbeat.

Linux generally does appear to have the required "bits & pieces" to create such a feature, but no one as yet has resolved the issues and packaged it into a complete Howto.

Dear RayMitchell,
Thanks for your reply, ..

Offline SoftDux

• +0/-0
    • http://www.SoftDux.com
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 03:39:11 PM »
As mentioned, there have been earlier developments with Heartbeat & DRBD on SME.

SME 8.0 will be based on CentOS 5, which has Heartbeat & DRBD support natively.

I've actually been looking into this myself for quite some time, and recently found a thread on the CentOS forums, which explains a failover cluster setup, which boils down to the following:

• Take 2 identicale machines (preferably, for performance' sake), or at least 2 machines with equal size HDD's & RAM and install a basic CentOS (no X & additional software). If you want to use RAID, do this as part of the installation.
  • Install, configure & test DRBD & Heartbeat, making sure each machine can take over if either fails.
  • Install Vmware / XEN on both machines, expanding the virtual machine to the physical machine's full size, meaning you'll be using the VM actively
  • Install all the other software (webserver, mailserver, MySQL, X, etc) on top of the VM's
  • let the 2 physical machines syn each other & offer high availability

Technically speaking, if you install SME 7.3 on the virtual machines, you'd have 2 highly available SME servers, since the sync will happen on the physical machine's storage. Theoretically this will work quite well, I've just not had the time yet to test it out