Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

smeserver-support dependencies

Offline magwm

• +0/-0
  • SmeLover
    • Gadis Tourist Service Italia SRL
smeserver-support dependencies
« on: January 07, 2008, 05:06:40 PM »
Hello, I am running a website on an updated smeserver box on which I somehow put php5 and mysql 5. now I find that updating goes mostly OK, if I exclude smeserver-support. I read it is a module to show version info etc so I thought it not to be so essential. however, is that so? I have necessity to put it under somewhat heavier load.  I attach the update logs. it seems to me a conflict between the 'normally' installed php5 and the php4 needed by dom-xml needed by horde. but I was updating smeserver-support..

I would be much grateful for any hints, and thanks all you for the fantastic work!

Michel

------

[root@www ~]# yum update
==============================================================
WARNING: Additional commands may be required after running yum
==============================================================
Loading "fastestmirror" plugin
Loading "smeserver" plugin
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
Reading repository metadata in from local files
Excluding Packages from CentOS - updates
Finished
Excluding Packages from CentOS - os
Finished
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package smeserver-support.noarch 0:1.6.0-40.el4.sme set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 for package: php-ldap
--> Processing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 for package: php-imap
--> Processing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 for package: php-mysql
--> Processing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 for package: php-gd
--> Processing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 for package: php-cli
--> Processing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 for package: php
--> Processing Dependency: php-domxml for package: e-smith-horde
--> Processing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 for package: php-mbstring
--> Processing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 for package: php-pdo
--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package php-domxml.i386 0:4.3.9-3.22.9 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 for package: php-ldap
--> Processing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 for package: php-imap
--> Processing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 for package: php-mysql
--> Processing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 for package: php-gd
--> Processing Dependency: php = 4.3.9-3.22.9 for package: php-domxml
--> Processing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 for package: php-cli
--> Processing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 for package: php
--> Processing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 for package: php-mbstring
--> Processing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 for package: php-pdo
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 is needed by package php-ldap
Error: Missing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 is needed by package php-imap
Error: Missing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 is needed by package php-mysql
Error: Missing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 is needed by package php-gd
Error: Missing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 is needed by package php-cli
Error: Missing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 is needed by package php
Error: Missing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 is needed by package php-mbstring
Error: Missing Dependency: php-common = 5.1.6-3.el4s1.7 is needed by package php-pdo
Error: Missing Dependency: php = 4.3.9-3.22.9 is needed by package php-domxml
================================================================
No new rpms were installed. No additional commands are required.
================================================================
MagWm

Offline slords

• +3/-0
Re: smeserver-support dependencies
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 06:08:46 PM »
Moving to contribs.  php5 and mysql5 aren't provided/supported.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 10:41:02 PM »
Hello, I am running a website on an updated smeserver box on which I somehow put php5 and mysql 5. now I find that updating goes mostly OK, if I exclude smeserver-support.
In my opinion it is not OK, AFAIK this package is also used to obsolete some packages so I think you should install it as it is part of the base... If they conflict with other packages that are not part of the base you should be better of finding out why they conflict and try to resolve that by modifying them and not by leaving out packages that are released as a base package.

You should probably upgrade by leaving out the php5 packages as they conflict with the base packages. I do not have the command ready but normally it would be something like this on the CLI as root
Code: [Select]
yum upgrade --exclude=package-to-exclude
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline Snoopyski

• +0/-0
    • http://www.serviceinfosg.com
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 05:30:49 PM »
Hello friends,

The only way is to downgrade temporary on PHP4 and MySQL 4 like is mentioned in the PHP5/MySQL5:

1) Downgrade to PHP4.x/MySQL4.x
2) run a yum update to install the module smeserver-support....
3) run a yum update again to be sure everything was done
3) Reinstall the PHP5/MySQL5 from the HowTo...
4) You're back up2date !!!

Don't miss to do a backup before (precaution)  :wink:

Stéphane

Offline jncs

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 04:27:55 AM »
Hello friends,

The only way is to downgrade temporary on PHP4 and MySQL 4 like is mentioned in the PHP5/MySQL5:

1) Downgrade to PHP4.x/MySQL4.x
2) run a yum update to install the module smeserver-support....
3) run a yum update again to be sure everything was done
3) Reinstall the PHP5/MySQL5 from the HowTo...
4) You're back up2date !!!

Don't miss to do a backup before (precaution)  :wink:

Stéphane

How can I downgrade from PHP5/MYSQL5 to PHP4/MYSQL4?
What shoul I backup?

Thanks!
Jorge Silva

Offline warren

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 05:46:48 PM »

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 06:50:49 PM »
Hi all

I have only one server with php5 and mysql5 and, naturally, I have the same problem each time I have to update SME.

I've solved (in the past) excluding smeserver-support and then installing it manually with rpm (with force directive).

So far so good, nothing to complain.

HTH
Ciao

Stefano

Offline jncs

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 09:09:35 PM »
Thanks to warren (and mary), and to Stefano.

I can't resolve my problem with any one of the approaches!

warren (or marry):
Using rpm -e php doesn't work because all the existing dependencies! I don't know how to workaround this!

Stefano:
How can I update to 7.4 manually using rpm?
Exactly how do I use rpm enabling smeserver-support repository (using rpm to install packages from Internet)?

Tanks to all! 
Jorge Silva

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 09:29:01 PM »
Using rpm -e php doesn't work because all the existing dependencies! I don't know how to workaround this!
Code: [Select]
rpm -e --nodeps package
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 03:28:41 AM »
jncs

Add all the dependencies in the one command and rpm will uninstall in the correct order

rpm -e package packagedependency1 packagedependency2
and so on.

See the earlier link referred to which has been updated
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,42683.msg201550.html#msg201550
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 03:37:48 AM by mary »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline slords

• +3/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 03:57:50 AM »
Another option to try is to enable the centos plus repo and do a manual upgrade of smeserver-support and verify that the only updated packages pulled from the centos plus repo are the dependencies for php and mysql.  If any other packages come from the centos plus you might run into bigger issues.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

Offline Hummdis

• +0/-0
    • Hummdis.com
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 10:24:03 PM »
Why doesn't SME support or provide PHP5?  Zend no longer supports PHP4 and SME is therefore using an unsupported PHP version.  Zend dropped support around May of 2008.  Updating to PHP5 does nothing on the system except damage the "yum update" ability.

My work around to this whole problem was to remove php, horde and imp, then reinstall php4.  Once that was done, perform the "yum update" and when everything was complete I ran "yum install horde imp" then updated to PHP5 again.  Everything is working fine.  So why is SME forcing users to use PHP4 -- an version that's no longer support by its developer!?

All this is doing is limiting the SME users to what SME wants to provide, not what SME needs to provide.

The same goes for MySQL.  I'm running both MySQL 5 and PHP 5 with SME 7.4 -- all works fine and without any work-arounds.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 10:26:51 PM by Hummdis »
"It is always darkest just before it goes pitch black."
-Despair, Inc.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 10:41:45 PM »
Why doesn't SME support or provide PHP5?  Zend no longer supports PHP4 and SME is therefore using an unsupported PHP version.  Zend dropped support around May of 2008.  Updating to PHP5 does nothing on the system except damage the "yum update" ability.

Because SME 7.X depends on Centos 4.X that depends on RH 4.X and in those distro there's no ufficial support for php5 and mysql5..

this has been told many, many times.. it's not a SME's devs choice..

Ciao
Stefano

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 10:41:59 PM »
My work around to this whole problem was to remove php, horde and imp, then reinstall php4.  Once that was done, perform the "yum update" and when everything was complete I ran "yum install horde imp" then updated to PHP5 again.  Everything is working fine.  So why is SME forcing users to use PHP4 -- an version that's no longer support by its developer!?

All this is doing is limiting the SME users to what SME wants to provide, not what SME needs to provide.

The same goes for MySQL.  I'm running both MySQL 5 and PHP 5 with SME 7.4 -- all works fine and without any work-arounds.
It has been said many times before... The development time and number of developers is limited as well as the budget. All is done in free time.

The goal of SME Server is to provide a stable, secure small business server. Not to be a otp notch hosting server with all stars and bells. To keep the system as stable and secure as possible with the limited resources the developers stick to the mother distribution as close as possible (which in the case of SME Server 7.4 is CentOS 4.7, SME Server 8 is based on CentOS 5.2).
CentOS in turn is based on RHEL.

About the packages not being supported you are wrong. AFAIK bug fixes and security fixes are still released by RHEL and subsequently passed down the chain to CentOS and from there to SME Server. The PHP and MySQL packages on SME Server are the same as on CentOS.

If you really desire PHP 5 and MySQL 5 you are better of installing a RHEL or CentOS machine yourself or put forward time or money so we can implement it on SME Server in the long term, but you should keep in mind that this means a lot of more work and higher workload for the severly limted deveopment team.

Oh and BTW, try to do some investigation before posting criticism like this as these questions have been answered multiple times in the forums.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 10:43:50 PM by cactus »

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 10:42:42 PM »
it's not a SME's devs choice..
Actually it is, but they do not have much choice as I explained in my earlier post.