Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Test Server Set-up

Offline imcintyre

• +0/-0
Test Server Set-up
« on: October 11, 2007, 12:50:22 AM »
I want to make a test server set up on a spare box that I have. I'd like to do a clean install of 7.2, fool around with it, and may be learn something. I've searched "test server setup" but couldn't find anything.

Would this work.

Modem
    |
    |
Current SME 7.2 Server (Upgraded)
(provides dhcp and is 192.168.1.1)
(server and gateway)
    |
    |
Wireless G Router
    |                 |
Various PC's      |
                      |
                 SME Server 7.2
                 (fixed 192.168.1.10)
                 (server and gateway)

The test server has 2 nic's.
Will this work? Should it assign i.p's to the pc's underneath it.

Thanks in advance for your help

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: Test Server Set-up
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 12:56:13 AM »
Will this work?

I'm assuming that you have nothing connected on the WAN port of the router. Yes, should work.

Should it assign i.p's to the pc's underneath it.

Yes. I'm assuming that you will use a different 182.168.x.* address for its LAN.

Offline imcintyre

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 02:43:52 AM »
Yes the WAN or Internet as it is labelled is empty. I have 4 other ports on the router of which I am using 2. One for my "production" server and one for the test. The other pc's are all wireless.

Yes I will have a different range for the dhcp on the test

router (192.168.1.2)
   |
   |
Test Server (192.168.1.3)
   |
   |
PC (192.168.2.1)

Thx for your help.

Ian

Offline imcintyre

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 12:24:40 PM »
A couple of more questions if you don't mind,

1) What should I do about a domain name and will it be visible from the internet?

2) What should I do about the DNS server address. Should it be blank or should it be my Current SME Server 7.2 (Upgraded)?

TIA

Ian

Offline TrevorB

• +0/-0
    • http://www.batley.id.au
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 02:19:43 AM »
1) What should I do about a domain name and will it be visible from the internet?
I have just called mine smetest.local (you can call it anything you like). Not as a domain name unless you publish it, but if paranoid, you can always set the server to Private server & gateway.
Quote from: imcintyre
2) What should I do about the DNS server address. Should it be blank or should it be my Current SME Server 7.2 (Upgraded)?
blank

BTW, you can also run this setup under vmware (I would suggest on a workstation or other server that your gateway). have your 'external' nic bridged or nat'd and your internal as a hostonly network, then any virtual clients use the hostonly network.

Trevor B

Offline imcintyre

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 04:39:34 AM »
Trevor;

Thx, for the help. The vmware suggestion will be taken under advisement. I've barely got my head above water as it is.

Ian

Offline TrevorB

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 06:08:00 AM »
The vmware suggestion will be taken under advisement. I've barely got my head above water as it is.
You may find it useful in the future.

I started with a test server, with switch & test workstation, but found that I wanted to test different things. Being able to have multiple virtual clients (eg. XP, Vista, Linux, ThinStation, etc.) meant that I could provision these much easier than a physical build (and I didn't need a separate switch). It also meant that I could have a number of different smeserver setups as well.

Good Luck
Trevor B

Offline pfloor

• +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 06:53:36 AM »
The vmware suggestion will be taken under advisement.

Another advantage to VMWare is the snapshot feature, this has saved me hours and hours of time.

1-Load SME.
2-Update and make sure everything is working correctly.
3-Take a snapshot.
4-Start modifying (Eg: Load your new untested RPM, try to update to SME8, etc.).
5-If the server becomes totally hosed, revert back to snapshot (Server is back to step 2 in minutes).
6-Fix your mistake.
7-Start over with your testing without having to reload and update the entire server again.
In life, you must either "Push, Pull or Get out of the way!"

Offline jumba

• +0/-0
  • Donations: July 2007 - $ 20.00
    • Smeserver på svenska!
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 11:25:21 AM »
The vmware suggestion will be taken under advisement.

Or if you like, please take a closer look at Virtualbox http://www.virtualbox.org/

I've completely left Vmware since I discovered Virtualbox.

Highly recommended!

Offline imcintyre

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 01:28:01 PM »
I read a bit of the virtual box manual. It sounds like a good idea but also more complicated.

Is there a how to for either vmware or virtualbox? Which is the simplest, not perhaps the most sophisticated (remember, I put the idiot in idiot-savant)?

Sounds like virtualbox does not install over sme server or centos. I have a W2K that I can install and then use. I think I also have a ubuntu single disk install. Any preferences?

Thx

Offline jumba

• +0/-0
    • Smeserver på svenska!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 01:37:01 PM »
I read a bit of the virtual box manual. It sounds like a good idea but also more complicated.

Is there a how to for either vmware or virtualbox? Which is the simplest, not perhaps the most sophisticated (remember, I put the idiot in idiot-savant)?

Sounds like virtualbox does not install over sme server or centos. I have a W2K that I can install and then use. I think I also have a ubuntu single disk install. Any preferences?

Thx

What's more complicated?

If you run Ubuntu, - easiest and fasters way to set up Virtualbox is to install it through Automatix (http://www.getautomatix.com/)

Since there are ready Virtualbox binaries available to download from http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads for RedHat Enterprise, I assume they should fit perfectly in a Centos-box as well.

But you're correct that Virtualbox cannot be installed directly on Smeserver (it's a graphical application...)

I don't use any Windows machines anymore, the only time is when I need to access my accounting software (a Win-application). Just fire up a virtual XP in Virtualbox and I'm done!

Give it a try, I'm pretty sure you won't look back again... :-P

T.G.I.F!!!

Offline TrevorB

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 02:27:28 PM »

Offline imcintyre

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 07:03:49 PM »
Jumba;

I installed ubuntu 6.0.6 LTS and then tried virtualbox but there was an install error that I couldn't see easily how to resolve. I then installed W2K and then virtualbox. Installed ok. Created virtual box and installed SME7.2 pretty easy so far. It seems torun ok b ut, when I tried to test connectivity to internet but could not make either nic work. I know at least one of them works as I updated W2K from SP2 to SP4. Any insight into either case. I also looked at the automatix site but couldn't quite understand what they were getting at or trying to do.

Tia

Pfloor;

The vmware how to seems a bit thin on the details.

Ian

PS thx both for your help.

Offline jumba

• +0/-0
    • Smeserver på svenska!
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 09:16:30 PM »
This is getting a bit O.T., but please forgive me for this post! I just want to help this guy out :???:

Jumba;

I installed ubuntu 6.0.6 LTS and then tried virtualbox but there was an install error that I couldn't see easily how to resolve.

I also looked at the automatix site but couldn't quite understand what they were getting at or trying to do.

It's amazingly easy to get it installed in Ubuntu!

First of all, Ubuntu 7.10 is scheduled to be released on October 18'th, so you might as well consider upgrading before you continue!

I'll try to explain how to do it in a few steps:

1. Running from your Ubuntu, point Firefox to http://www.getautomatix.com/wiki/index.php?title=Installation and select the correct version for your system.

2. When you click on the .deb file, you will most probably be promted to choose to DL the file to your computer or run the file directly through the Ubuntu package manager. I assume you select to use the package manager.

3. You'll be promted to type your password in order to install the package.

Please do open up the "show details window" during installation, - you'll have to accept some license stuff I think!

4. Now you can find "Automatix" in your system menu.

5. Fire it up, and through Automatix select category "Virtualization", and in that category select "VirtualBox".

6. In Automatix, after selecting "VirtualBox": Click on the button "START"...

Please do open up the "show details window" during installation, - you'll have to accept some license stuff I think!

This way, the installation goes through without any complications.

Good luck!

Offline imcintyre

• +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 12:10:11 PM »
Thx

Automatix seems to be having server issues, I'll let you know how it goes.

Ian