Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

pop/smtp proxy setup

Offline wolfgang-362

• +0/-0
pop/smtp proxy setup
« on: September 27, 2007, 02:24:25 PM »
Hi,

I want to poll some external pop3 mailboxes and send e-mail via the corresponding provider's smtp server - storage should be done in SME-Server IMAP. Is this possible? I read HowTo, Manuals, but have still no idea whether this is possible with SME. Maybe you can point me to the right direction...

Regards,
Wolfgang

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: pop/smtp proxy setup
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 03:24:30 PM »
I want to poll some external pop3 mailboxes ...

You can do that by configuring client email programs to fetch from those pop3 mailboxes.

and send e-mail via the corresponding provider's smtp server  ...

If you want to do that (IOW, bypass SME server's mail capabilities), you can do it by configuring client email programs to use smtps (port 465) access to the providers smtp server.

Offline wolfgang-362

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 07:07:13 PM »
CharlieBrady,

thanks for your kind answer.

You can do that by configuring client email programs to fetch from those pop3 mailboxes.

If you want to do that (IOW, bypass SME server's mail capabilities), you can do it by configuring client email programs to use smtps (port 465) access to the providers smtp server.

Maybe my headline is not *that* correct. <joke> Should I carry the e-mail in my little bit-bucket from each client to an IMAP server? </joke> I search for a centralized storage for all e-mail. Is SME server able to act like a mailserver to local clients and act like a client to my provider's POP3 mailboxes? I know how to do this with postfix, is a similar solution possible with SME?

Regards,
Wolfgang

Offline mdo

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 08:27:54 PM »
I search for a centralized storage for all e-mail. Is SME server able to act like a mailserver to local clients and act like a client to my provider's POP3 mailboxes? I know how to do this with postfix, is a similar solution possible with SME?

Yes, SMEserver can do that. You would setup the server to fetch emails from the different providers/pop3 mailboxes via "fetchmail" (search the wiki/forums) and fetchmail then passes these mails on to your server's local user's email accounts. All your PCs on the LAN will then get their emails from the SME server (via pop3 or imap or webmail!).
That's how many users here have setup their SME server but I prefer to have a static IP address and to use smtp instead.
Michael

Offline wolfgang-362

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 12:41:02 AM »
Hi Michael,

this fetchmail does what it is intended to. Thank you so far.

Yes, SMEserver can do that. You would setup the server to fetch emails from the different providers/pop3 mailboxes via "fetchmail"

Last thing left is how to send the mail with the specific smtp account of the provider. Relaying different addresses over one account does not work, receiving networks don't accept differences in sender domain and email address domain. How can this be done or where can I read more about this topic?

Regards,
Wolfgang