Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

bttv and DVR on SME 7.2

Offline edeganay

• +0/-0
bttv and DVR on SME 7.2
« on: September 20, 2007, 06:43:31 PM »
Hello there,

Is there anyone who could make a bttv848 (miro pctv) working on a SME ? For example with videolan ?

My main purpose is to use my SME as a Digital Video Recorder and Broadcaster over the LAN.

Anyone to get the challenge with me ?

Edd

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: bttv and DVR on SME 7.2
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 08:46:56 PM »
Hello there,

Is there anyone who could make a bttv848 (miro pctv) working on a SME ? For example with videolan ?

My main purpose is to use my SME as a Digital Video Recorder and Broadcaster over the LAN.

Anyone to get the challenge with me ?

Edd
Why not take CentOS and install MythTV to do something like that? SME Server is designed to be a server and to use it as a PVR you will have to load a lot of extra stuff on SME Server they have left out for security reasons and being unneccesary for it's tasks. Choosing SME Server as a DVR/PVR is trying to get eggs by milking a cow. I personally run a MythTV box on CentOS 5 very succesfully and without much hassle, but alongside my SME Server box, not on it.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline edeganay

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 09:05:25 PM »
Hi there,
That's interesting, but

My main purpose is to use sme as a record, centralise and broadcadst videos, and this is, somehow, the aim of a server.
I don't want to watch videos on the sme box it self, but thru the lan on different machines.

What do you think about this ?

Edd

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 09:30:36 PM »
Hi there,
That's interesting, but

My main purpose is to use sme as a record, centralise and broadcadst videos, and this is, somehow, the aim of a server.
I don't want to watch videos on the sme box it self, but thru the lan on different machines.

What do you think about this ?
It is a nice thing, but all is offered quite easily by a normal CentOS installation with mythtv and the mythweb plugin, probably far easier than trying to force the SME Server to install all kinds of necessary additional software like X and all the libraries needed for bbtv.

I did a out of the box CentOS installation, installed mythtv-suite from atrpms, enabled the configuration for mythweb and was under way in about an hour tops. The mythweb plugin does an excellent job on programming recordings and streaming them (as well as audio files like MP3) to clients in your network. Why bother developing such a thing from scratch yourself when it is much much easier to lean on a system used by many people, and which has proven pretty accepted by the community other than the educational part of it?

On top of that mythtv comes with a lot of features like a program guide, which makes scheduling recordings very easy and comfortable.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline byte

• +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 09:54:19 PM »
Moving this topic to the SME 7.x contribs forum, it is more appropriate there. Thanks!
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!

Offline edeganay

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 08:31:26 AM »
ok, then, thank you, this is what I'm looking,

Any chance helping me to install this on my sme ?

Regardds,
Edd

Offline edeganay

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 10:08:53 AM »
I may add something,
I don't have any free machine to install centos out of the box...that's whay I wanted to integrate it in SME.
Another machine, means, more time to administrate it, another IP to add in client machines, blablabla.  I would like to centralise to maximum things on one server, even if it's bit too much a "to do everything machine"

Thank's for you anwsers anyway,
Edd

Offline brick

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 05:57:31 PM »
When you get it working, let me know  :)
I know Duncan had it working some time(searching the forums there are some hints)

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
When you get it working, let me know  :)
I know Duncan had it working some time(searching the forums there are some hints)
I have been dubbing to post this as I (and probably the developers with me consider it a very very bad thing to do) and at the risk of being shot down in flames:

Al tough not supported you could try and install mythtv-suite from ATrpms.

Be advised that it installs lots of packages that are left out of SME Server on purpose, which might leave your system in a state which is not supported by the developers. There is a strong possibility you will get no support when hitting problems and entering them in the bug tracker.

On top of that those packages might oppose a very strong issues concerning security to your system, one of the other main reasons they were left out of the package as the more complex the system gets, the harder it is to keep it secure. One example is the graphical shell (X windows) which is needed to run mythtv. If you have the choice do not install it on SME Server, but do it on a separate machine using CentOS or another distribution of your liking.

Offline slords

• +3/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 01:22:40 AM »
You won't get flamed by me.  I run my backend on smeserver as well.  I do have separate cos5 frontends for watching.  Here are the mythtv/ivtv packages I've got installed on my smeserver (from atrpms).

libmyth-0.20.2_0-0.20.2-165.el4
libmythavcodec-0.20.2_0-0.20.2-165.el4
libmythavformat-0.20.2_0-0.20.2-165.el4
libmythavutil-0.20.2_0-0.20.2-165.el4
libmythfreemheg-0.20.2_0-0.20.2-165.el4
libmythlivemedia-0.20.2_0-0.20.2-165.el4
libmythtv-0.20.2_0-0.20.2-165.el4
libmythui-0.20.2_0-0.20.2-165.el4
libmythupnp-0.20.2_0-0.20.2-165.el4
myththemes-0.20.2-114
mythtv-backend-0.20.2-165.el4
mythtv-frontend-0.20.2-165.el4
mythtv-setup-0.20.2-165.el4
mythtv-themes-0.20.2-165.el4
mythweb-0.20.2-165.el4

ivtv-0.4.10-114.el4
ivtv-firmware-20070217-13.at
ivtv-kmdl-2.6.9-55.0.6.EL-0.4.10-114.el4
ivtv-kmdl-2.6.9-55.0.6.ELsmp-0.4.10-114.el4
perl-Video-ivtv-0.13-8.el4.at

If I remember correctly I needed the frontend package in order to load some of the graphical libraries needed to run mythtvsetup.  Beyond installing the above (plus dependencies) I enabled X11 forwarding and configured the system from one of the remote frontends.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

Offline stephen noble

• +1/-0
    • Dungog
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 02:23:54 AM »
I'm a tivo user so I don't need mythTV, but I can see the benefits of a formal set of instruction for others.
Here is a stub for others to continue working on

http://wiki.contribs.org/MythTV

Offline edeganay

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 10:46:09 AM »
To cactus :

I think everybody is agree to say that we just need a "thing" that manage the tunercard, record input according a programmed schedule, viewable in an ibay, and store avi (or other) files under samba.
And, possibly broadcast the TV flux on the LAN, over http ou multicast...

For me, this is only the backend, but I'm maybe wrong.

to this, do we need x and qt and other unsecure items ?

To slord :
As I am quite newbie, how do yo uactive X11 forwarding ?
Is there a process to follow to install what you say ?

and last but not least, is there any frontend for ...XP (don't shout)

Thanks for all,
Edd

Offline edeganay

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 10:47:36 AM »
ok, I'm sorry, the url proposed by snoble is exactly what we need

Offline edeganay

• +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 11:33:52 AM »
I found a quite complete howto,

http://mythtv.goldtel.com.au/User?v=d20

anyone has any suggestion ?

Edd
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 11:41:27 AM by edeganay »

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 02:03:09 PM »
and last but not least, is there any frontend for ...XP (don't shout)
Yes, OT on this forums off course, but there is some sort of application to view it using Windows (http://www.sudu.dk/mythtvplayer/index.php). You could also use the mythweb plugin which allows for downloading and streaming video as well. If you have more questions about MythTV not concerning SME Server in particular I would like to redirect you to the MythTV wiki.