Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Someone selling SME 7.2... is this legal?

Offline spyrule

• +0/-0
    • http://n/a
Someone selling SME 7.2... is this legal?
« on: September 13, 2007, 10:52:34 PM »
I found some person on Ebay, SELLING SME Server 7.2. Is this legal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SME-Server-V7-2-New-Windows-Server-Replacement_W0QQitemZ120161049216QQihZ002QQcategoryZ11941QQcmdZViewItem

just curious.

Spyrule.

Offline stephen noble

• +1/-0
    • Dungog
Re: Someone selling SME 7.2... on ebay for $5
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 12:58:24 AM »
Yes,
he is just selling a CD for $5

Offline reubanks

• +0/-0
Re: Someone selling SME 7.2... is this legal?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 01:01:05 AM »
From my understanding it is legal because he isn't selling the SOFTWARE, he's selling the CD and adding a little for the trouble of downloading it and burning the disk.

Not too expensive for people who don't have a CD burner.

Randy

Offline gbentley

• +0/-0
  • Forum Lurker
    • Earth
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 09:31:20 AM »
And, as ebay is a huge community, it raises awareness of SME into the bargain!!!

Starts thinking .... distributor network based on donations to the project, printed manuals, boxes and CD labels ...
"If you don't know what you want, you end up with a lot you don't."

Offline reubanks

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 02:25:12 PM »
Actually, this is how I found out about SME! I was searching on Ebay for a cheap server (hardware) with a legit MS Server 2003 Small Business for my cousin who wanted to open his own small business and needed a server. I saw a posting for some Linux based server software, but the poster didn't say what the package was, only the capabilities.

The silly git DID post some screen shots from the web admin pages though... 5 minutes later after a Google search I was downloading the ISO.

He has been running for 4 months now without a hitch.

Offline gbentley

• +0/-0
  • Forum Lurker
    • Earth
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 03:00:16 PM »
So... you made a donation based on the excellence of the software ;-)
"If you don't know what you want, you end up with a lot you don't."

Offline reubanks

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 03:20:15 PM »
Well, we will be shortly, but he is only now beginning to see the profit light at the end of the startup tunnel.

I will be doing a billable install for a paying client by the end of the month, so will be sending a paypal donation their way when that is done. Gotta help the cause!

Randy

Offline haymann

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 11:02:02 PM »
I think that someone should copy some of the features listed on the eBay auction, and paste them at www.smeserver.org. When I tell people about SME they want a link, but most don't want to look through the wiki right away, and the forums aren't a good place to be introduced to a product. Just having some of the features list on smeserver.org would be cool...

Offline cvlcc

• +0/-0
    • http://Cvlcc.com
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 04:31:12 AM »
I'll tell you that SME is still the best Server Program Bar None! I have bought other Program NetMax by cybernet.com, H-sphere by psoft.net Where I don't mind paying for a program or Help! But when you pay for a program $400.00 to $500.00 for the program! Then you need to pay a large amounts for help or get no help.

With SME is downloadable Free to You, Get Help Free though the Forums, FAQ's and   other are willing to help at no cost and only ask that you Donate what every you can! You may not get all the right answers you want everytime, but most the time. Because you should read, before you ask on the Forums. Now paying for a SME CD on ebay that person is not trying to make a living off the sale of the program. See what it cost downloading the program write extra information for the the install and put it on a CD.

I paid $7.00 for a CD of Jumbo Linux for A DNS Server that sold on ebay an excellent DNS linux program. When I could not find a way to get the DNS to work  on SME.
My we all be so humbled, To ask the questions and get straight answers. Sooner than later. Thank You For Your Time