Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Really bizarre behavior between SME mail server and Hotmail

hamdodger

I have a completely pristing SME 7.2 server install, with qmail running fine.  It properly sends/receives email from any domain I try, except I am having the weirdest issue with Hotmail.

If I try and send a mail from scratch to my Hotmail address, it never appears to get there.  However, if I initiate an email from Hotmail, it arrives in my spool almost immediately.  And if I reply to the mail that's initiated from Hotmail, it arrives instantaneously in my Hotmail Inbox.

And yes, I've made absolutely sure that I'm spelling my Hotmail email address correctly.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

P.S. On a seperate note, how to I flush my qmail outbound spool?  This is just for my own knowledge, for future reference.

Offline shawnbishop

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 10:36:24 AM »
The hotmail issue...???

But to flush your qmail queue, install and rpm called smeserver-saco-qmHandle, just search for it....

gives you options via command line to control qmail

Offline ldkeen

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 12:07:23 PM »
I had to end up sending any mail destined for hotmail through my ISP:
mkdir -p /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/var/qmail/control/smtproutes
cd /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/var/qmail/control/smtproutes
touch 40hotmail
echo "hotmail.com:you_ISP_goes_here" > 40hotmail
expand-template /var/qmail/control/smtproutes
signal-event email-update
Regards, Lloyd

Offline MSmith

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 12:17:31 PM »
Doesn't sound bizarre at all to me; sounds as though Hotmail is silently dropping your SMTP traffic.  Or do you have your email routed through your ISP's SMTP server in the appropriate server manager panel?  If that is the case then you *do* have a problem.

hamdodger

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 07:36:18 PM »
When I send mails to Hotmail using my ISP's SMTP relay, it arrives with no issues.  

But it still doesn't explain why the Hotmail emails that I reply to go straight through, but ones that I compose from scratch get dropped?  Logs from my server show that all emails

Log files show that the emails being sent to Hotmail are definitely making it out of my server.   It also shows that some outbound emails to Yahoo are being deferred with a 421 error (not enough resources), which also doesn't make any sense to me.    They eventually arrive, but always with a delay.  And again when I immediately reply to Yahoo emails, they arrive in my Yahoo Inbox instantaneously.

Mails to all other external SMTP servers (Gmail, other corporate mail severs, etc.) are also instantaenous.

sbytes  mess  tries  xdelay  recipient
  8127    10     10   17.02  remote.mytestaccount@gmail.com
 19354    22     22    4.61  remote.mytestaccount@hotmail.com
 11891    15     54   97.89  remote.mytestaccount@yahoo.com

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 03:24:13 AM »
Quote from: "hamdodger"

Log files show that the emails being sent to Hotmail are definitely making it out of my server.

Hotmail loses (or deletes) lots of mail:

http://www.theregister.com/2007/05/01/hotmail_friendly_fire/
http://hubpages.com/hub/Hotmail_Fails_To_Deliver_Up_To_81_Of_All_Attachment_Emails

Do you have reason not to use your ISP's relay?

hamdodger

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 03:28:50 AM »
Yeah I wound up using my ISP's SMTP relay, and that was definitely the fix.

Offline pfloor

• +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 05:27:51 AM »
If you have control of your DNS record, you can also try to create an SPF record int the TXT area.  This worked for me for sending email to both hotmail and msn.

I believe there are other methods for setting an SPF record but the easiest for me was to update my DNS record.

Check here http://www.openspf.org/
In life, you must either "Push, Pull or Get out of the way!"

Offline crazybob

• +0/-0
    • Stalzer R&D
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 06:05:58 AM »
Paul, Could you give a short example of this?

Thanks

Bob
If you think you know whats going on, you obviously have no idea whats going on!

Offline pfloor

• +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 06:17:35 AM »
Your DNS record must be complete including a proper MX record.  Then you add a TXT record something like this:

Code: [Select]

Host                    TTL     Type        Data
domain.com              600     TXT     "v=spf1 mx ~all"
hostname.domain.com     600     TXT     "v=spf1 mx ~all"

If you go to the link above, they have a tool that you answer questions about your domain and it gives you the TXT record syntax.

-Paul
In life, you must either "Push, Pull or Get out of the way!"

Offline Normando

• +2/-1
    • Unixlan
Re: Really bizarre behavior between SME mail server and Hotmail
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 06:21:52 AM »
Hello pfloor

If I have one primary domain domain1.com, and also a few virtual domains, as domain2.com and so on, how I can configure the TXT records for domains? One for domain, or only for primary domain?

Thank you

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: Really bizarre behavior between SME mail server and Hotmail
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 08:02:24 AM »
Hello pfloor

If I have one primary domain domain1.com, and also a few virtual domains, as domain2.com and so on, how I can configure the TXT records for domains? One for domain, or only for primary domain?

Thank you
You will have to go to your DNS provider (probably your ISP) for that. Most ISP's do not support TXT fields by default, but do as an extra service.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)