Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Ubuntu Feisty Fawn joining SME domain

Offline MasthaX

• +0/-0
Re: Ubuntu Feisty Fawn joining SME domain
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 11:20:57 AM »
well that didnt work for me, i cant even get in my own system anymore not even while logging in on a local account. Also i have to type the password twice dont know why it only takes the second time. how can i undo this all? Or do i need to reinstall my Ubuntu? If its the easies solution i would do that there aren't any usefull files on the system so.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Offline pfigueira

• +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 08:27:56 PM »
Hi,

I'm new to sme server.
I manage a large school equipment (+-1250 users) and hat to configure a mix envoirement (linux a window$ clients). I had a similar problem: linux (ubuntu) clients could not join the domain but the window$ clients could. After a lot of hours (really a lot) a foud the solution. My domain is only localy visible. Both the linux and windows$ clients had the sme server has the dns server. Only the window$ machines got the name of the server resolved by the dns server. Strange. So I had to edit the hosts file (/etc/hosts) on the ubuntu clients with all the server names. (server_ip servername domain.xxx www.domain.xxx etc)
With this problem solved, now I have another problem: The domain users, on the ubuntu workstation, can not mount the usb-sticks. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Paulo F.

Offline pfigueira

• +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2007, 11:53:51 AM »
Can someone help me. The school season is almost starting and I'm stuck with the usb pens mount problem.
Thanks,
Paulo F.

Offline troykd

• +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 04:37:34 AM »
Here's what worked for me.  32 bit Feisty on a 64 bit Dell Notebook.  Real simple.

From your Ubuntu toolbar, select Places.

Select Connect to Server

Select Windows Share

Fill in your servers NAME

Fill in your user name

Put your workgroup in for the Domain

Double click the icon created and log in.  Worked for me.  Had my shares and could add ALL the printers at the office.  One thing about Ubuntu, it does an awesome job of finding network printers.  Better than Fedora.

Hope it works for you.

Offline steever

• +0/-0
    • Open-Sesame
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 02:49:03 AM »
USB SOLUTION:

From http://tech.canterburyschool.org/tech/UbuntuWorkstations

Logins validated by the Windows server won't correctly pickup membership in local groups, making sound, USB devices, etc. inaccessible. To fix that do the following (Thanks to Steve Towson, Marist Brothers International School, Japan):

1.  edit /etc/pam.d/gdm to include auth optional pam_group.so

2.  edit /etc/security/group.conf to include gdm;*;*;Al0000-2400;floppy,audio,cdrom,video,plugdev,scanner

Explanation:
   No.1 instructs gdm to use the /etc/security/group.conf
   No.2 assigns membership of the floppy, audio, cdrom, video, plugdev (usb sticks) and scanner groups to any user who logs in through the gdm.

Saving the world ... one server at a time.

Offline steever

• +0/-0
    • Open-Sesame
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2007, 08:11:48 AM »
Has anyone managed to auth gutsy against SME?  Or had any luck authenticating edubuntu thin client against SME?  Enquiring minds and idle hands want to know!

Thanks

Steve
Saving the world ... one server at a time.

Offline troykd

• +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2008, 10:17:31 PM »
Had it working with Feisty Fawn but no luck with Hardy Heron.

Troy

Offline troykd

• +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 02:14:02 AM »
Bump,
Anyone get Hardy Heron to work with SME?

Offline Paperguides

• +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 05:27:15 PM »
I have managed to get something working previously on Hardy but then had a HD failure. When I applied what I thought was the same patches as last time  I now have the problem discussed above i.e. I needing to input two passwords.   I have asked on the Ubuntu forum if anyone can help with no response at all.

The two passwords required can be show thus:

tony@humphrey:~$ sudo ls
pam_mount password:
[sudo] password for tony:
Desktop  Documents  Examples  Music  Pictures  Public  Templates  Test   Videos
tony@humphrey:~$

I do not understand some of the mods that I made to the password files so cannot see what needs to be tweaked to correct the problem.

Are there any Linux gurus around?

Tony