Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Upgrading to clamav-0.90-3, problem with logging

Offline holck

• +1/-0
« on: February 25, 2007, 08:49:12 PM »
I was courageous enough to install clamav, clamd, and clamav-db in version 0.90-3 from the "sme testing" repository. I found out that these new versions required changes in clamd.conf and freshclam.conf: now a number of options are boolean and must be marked with "yes" or "no". So, e.g. in clamd.conf
Code: [Select]
Foreground must be changed to
Foreground yes This required some changes in the template files, but that was pretty easy.

I have more problems in getting logging to work. The old clamd.conf and freshclam.conf contained the lines
LogFile /dev/stderr but the new versions of clamd and freshclam were unhappy with this and gave error messages like
ERROR: Problem with internal logger. Please check the permissions on the /dev/stderr file.
ERROR: Can't open /dev/stderr in append mode (check permissions!).
Running as user clamav (UID 407, GID 402)

As a workaround I have changed the above line in clamd.conf to
LogFile /var/log/clamav/clamav.log
but this is obviously not what was intended. Should clamd and freshclam run with super user privileges? Or is there another way to solve this problem?

Jesper, Denmark

Offline byte

• +2/-0
Re: Upgrading to clamav-0.90-3, problem with logging
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 10:47:58 PM »
Quote from: "holck"
As a workaround I have changed the above line in clamd.conf to
LogFile /var/log/clamav/clamav.log
but this is obviously not what was intended. Should clamd and freshclam run with super user privileges? Or is there another way to solve this problem?

Jesper, Denmark

Jesper, could you open a bug ticket as this will help us iron out any bugs. Thanks!
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!

Offline mdo

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 09:03:41 AM »
I suspect that there must be at least an "smeserver-clamxxx" or "e-smith-clamxxx" rpm required for such an upgrade - just not the original clam rpms only?
Michael

Offline holck

• +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 09:07:14 PM »
Except from the logging problems, which I were not able to solve satisfactorily (also problems with logrotate, I think), I also had several situations where clamd would cause near 100% CPU-load for hours - some memory allocation problem... So now I've gone back to the old, official version clamav.

I can open a bug ticket, but I really don't know where to file it?

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 09:18:09 PM »
Quote from: "holck"

I can open a bug ticket, but I really don't know where to file it?

Please use the Bugzilla link which is at the top of this page. Don't worry about making mistakes filling out the form, any errors will be gently corrected if that is required.

Offline wellsi

• +0/-0
    • http://www.wellsi.com
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 05:24:22 PM »
This has been raised as Bug 2508  http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2508 (and 2611), fixed by smeserver-clamav-1.2.0-11.el4.sme.noarch.rpm , and will be released in 7.1.2