Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Yum conf and yum repositories on SME 7.1

Offline beeboob

• +0/-0
    • http://www.normal.dk
« on: January 04, 2007, 05:56:16 PM »
Hey all

I am are littel confused about the understanding of all the thing about yum.conf.

And after time to time, i will bee very happy, if somebody can help me whit the following question:

How about the Yum.conf and yum repositories...

I have just install Sme 7.1 but i am not sure, about who my yum.conf, hve to look like.

Do any have are suggestion for are yum.conf to the SME 7.1

Also when i look in the forum, many times, some SME usere ref to:

3rdPartyYumRepositories

http://no.longer.valid/phpwiki/index.php/3rdPartyYumRepositories

But in the wiki, "snoble" write:

"you just copy & Paste it"

But copy & paste to where?

Is it, just Copy & paste in are terminal or is it to copy & paste it directly in to the yum.conf file?
-------------------------------
Webber Wana Bee

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: Yum conf and yum repositories on SME 7.1
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 07:28:19 PM »
Quote from: "beeboob"
Hey all

I am are littel confused about the understanding of all the thing about yum.conf.

And after time to time, i will bee very happy, if somebody can help me whit the following question:
No problem we all probably staretd like this.
How about the Yum.conf and yum repositories...

I have just install Sme 7.1 but i am not sure, about who my yum.conf, hve to look like.

Do any have are suggestion for are yum.conf to the SME 7.1
Your yum.conf file is, like many configuration files of SME Server, templated. This means that you should not edit the actual (normal) configuration file as this is generated based on the templates. For more information read the developers guide, especially the parts about the configuration database and the template system.
Also when i look in the forum, many times, some SME usere ref to:

3rdPartyYumRepositories

But in the wiki, "snoble" write:

"you just copy & Paste it"

But copy & paste to where?

Is it, just Copy & paste in are terminal or is it to copy & paste it directly in to the yum.conf file?

The wiki pages is mentioning extra repositories. If you want to install them you will have to copy and paste the exact code mentioned there into your terminal. You will notice that the last line is
Code: [Select]
expand-template /etc/yum.conf This is the command that will generate the yum.conf file as all the repository settings are stored in the internal configuration database.

There is a risk in installing extra repositories if you enable them by default. So please don;t do so. the only repositories that you should enable by default are: smeos, smeaddons and smeupdates. All others can be enabled per server-manager if you need to install anything or if you have command  line access (terminal login for instance) you can issue the following command:
yum install package --enablerepo=reponame1 --enablerepo=reponame2
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline cool34000

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 07:52:46 PM »
Hi cactus,

I would have have another question about yum if you permit me : is it safe to add dungog to yum (visible&enabled).

I've managed to add this repo according to a topic found on this forum (I can't remember where) and I don't know if it's a good choice...

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 08:29:52 PM »
Quote from: "cool34000"
Hi cactus,

I would have have another question about yum if you permit me : is it safe to add dungog to yum (visible&enabled).

I've managed to add this repo according to a topic found on this forum (I can't remember where) and I don't know if it's a good choice...

Thanks in advance for your reply.
You can add it to be visible for sure, that is never a problem. Setting it to visible will only make it appear in the server-manager Software Installer section.

However I am not so sure about enabling it by default as I have noticed that dungog's repository holds a newer version of pcre than provided in the sme repositories for instance. I don't know there policy is about providing software and packages that are also available in the sme repositories. However enabling it can be done if you keep software installer from automatically installing available updates and being sure to uncheck the (dungog) updates if you do not want them when applying other updates, for instance when installing SME Server updates. In this case your system will send you an e-mail notifying you of updates and list the available packages in the software installer window of the server-manager.

I have disabled it on my system (also to be sure not to install it accidentally) as I have not been able to check why this newer version is there. Maybe someone on the forum can shed a light on this. If you want to check dungog's repository for updates without it being enabled you can always make a cron job pointing to a script using the following commands which will check dungog's repository for updates to your system and should send the administrator of the system an email (this is just be memory and not tested though).:
SHELL=/bin/bash
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
MAILTO=admin
yum list updates --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=dungog
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline cool34000

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 09:14:06 PM »
Thanks for your reply, I'm going to make dungog only visible. This should be more appropriate for a prod server... I'll play around at home to see if it's stable.

Quote from: "cactus"
I have noticed that dungog's repository holds a newer version of pcre than provided in the sme
Yes ! As far as I remember, pcre-6.7-1.i386.rpm is a dependancy for dansguardian. This should be the beginning of your answer... Don't know what's inside :mrgreen:  :hammer:

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 09:59:40 PM »
Quote from: "cool34000"
As far as I remember, pcre-6.7-1.i386.rpm is a dependancy for dansguardian. This should be the beginning of your answer... Don't know what's inside :mrgreen:  :hammer:
Thanks for the clue. I did some quick searching on the net. PCRE stands for Perl Compatible Regular Expressions and can be used amongst others by Apache, PHP and NMAP. It is used for regular expression matching.

I can at this moment neither confirm nor deny that it is a dependency for (smeserver-)dansguardian.

Offline stephen noble

• +1/-0
    • Dungog
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 01:59:20 AM »
this was a good start, and now needs updating
how exactly is open to debate

what do the 3rd party repos provide ?
should includes / excludes be added to the config (see below) ?
what state should they be in, visible, disabled ?
when do you run an update, and how ?

now we have include and exclude options for yum
http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2049 &
http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=610

see the bugs for syntax to refine what is updated from repos

* dansguardian requires a later version of pcre
you could do a --nodeps and just not have some to the regexp matches not work

mrkenzo

yum problem
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 04:42:30 PM »
I get this problem when trying to install updates.

How to fix this???

Software installer
   The following updates are available for your system. You should normally install all available updates. If there are updates you do not wish to install, de-select them from the list below.

Updates available   not using - ftp,

when I press install updates I get this erroro message.

Software installer
 Operation status report
An error occurred while updating the system.

The system needs to be reconfigured after adding or removing software, or applying updates.

An automatic reboot will be initiated as part of this reconfiguration process

Repository base is listed more than once in the configuration
Repository contrib is listed more than once in the configuration
Repository centosplus is listed more than once in the configuration
Repository addons is listed more than once in the configuration
Repository extras is listed more than once in the configuration
Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: update
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: update
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
not using ftp, http, or file for repos, skipping - Null is not a valid release or hasnt been released yet
yum update not failed: 256

Offline stephen noble

• +1/-0
    • Dungog
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 04:47:19 PM »
see other reply