Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

6.x to 7.1

pabs

6.x to 7.1
« on: January 03, 2007, 11:18:47 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've been a faithful SME user for quite some time now with version 6.0.1-01.  I've also added the SMEplus.sh script at the start, and have had very little server management to do since then.  This server is VERY stable and has given me little trouble over the last couple of years.

But now 7.1 is released!  I'm very excited to upgrade to the latest version, but hesitate in fear of messing up my current situation.

If this has already been answered in the forums please forgive me, I was unable to find a clear answer.  What/how is the best way to migrate from 6.x with the SMEplus.sh script to the latest 7.1? Is it as simple as booting the latest CD?  The server is running a couple of important websites so the migration process needs to be as smooth as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Pabs

exocet

6.x to 7.1
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 12:48:34 PM »
follow the instructions on the sticky; prefer a clean install prior to upgrade.
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=30745.0

RayMitchell wrote:

1. On the old sme6 server prior to shutting down do "/sbin/e-smith/signal-event pre-backup" then shutdown & remove the drive
2. On the new machine do a fresh install of sme7.0 OS
3. Shut down & install old 6.0 drive and start machine.
4. cd /
5. mkdir /mnt/tmp
6. mount /dev/hdb2 /mnt/tmp (adjust "hdb2" according to where the 6.0 drive
is installed).
7. /sbin/e-smith/db configuration setprop backup Program CopyFromDisk status
enabled
8. /sbin/e-smith/signal-event pre-restore
9. /sbin/e-smith/signal-event restore-tape /mnt/tmp
(note: this step may take a long time depending on how much data is being
restored)
10. cd /etc/e-smith
11. mv templates-custom templates-custom.old
12. mkdir templates-custom
13. mv templates-user-custom templates-user-custom.old
14. mkdir templates-user-custom
15. /sbin/e-smith/signal-event post-upgrade
16. /sbin/e-smith/signal-event reboot
17. Shutdown and remove old sme6 drive

Good luck!  :wink:

Offline brianr

• +2/-0
6.x to 7.1
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 05:59:39 PM »
the only other thing you'll need to do after the 6.0 data has been moved across, is delete all /etc/e-smith/templates-custom directories (i.e. everything underneath it), as there are some there left from isolog and other contribs which cause the httpd to barf.

After you re-boot following the restore you'll see error messages on the console, ignore them, spawn a new console session (ALT-F2) then delete the above mentioned directories, then re-boot.

I've "upgraded" 6 or 7 6.0 systems which had the smeplus contribs added.
Brian j Read
(retired, for a second time, still got 2 installations though)
The instrument I am playing is my favourite Melodeon.

pabs

6.x to 7.1
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 04:17:03 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

It seems like a bit of a waste to have to go buy a new Hard drive just so i can upgrade the OS.  The server really doesn't have a bunch of data on it, just a couple of websites and databases.  I'm using backup to workstation that is generating a RAR file of 2gig.  These are the directories that I'm backing up:

/bin,/boot,/etc,/home,/initrd,/lib,/opt,,/root,/sbin,/service,/usr,/var

is it possible to install a clean SME 7.1 (which will erase my old 6.1) then restore/upgrade from the backup to workstation file?

Cheers,

Pabs

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
6.x to 7.1
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 05:36:55 PM »
Quote from: "pabs"

It seems like a bit of a waste to have to go buy a new Hard drive just so i can upgrade the OS.

The standard upgrade method doesn't require a new Hard drive - just boot from CD and proceed to upgrade. It would be wise to backup and then remove all custom templates before you do that.

Unfortunately, the developer of the "smeplus" contrib did not fully particulate in SME7 pre-release testing, so there may still be some minor issues in upgrading. All the issues that the SME7 developers were made aware of have been resolved.