Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

ClamAV error message

Offline del

• +0/-0
ClamAV error message
« on: December 20, 2006, 04:22:44 PM »
Hi All,

I installed SME v7 on my office server yesterday and set the clamAV to scan daily, this morning I got an email from root with the subject: Clam Antivirus Scan Results - Wed Dec 20 00:39:01 2006 and the message body was:
ERROR: Can't get information about user clamav
I have SME v7 at home also and the scanning works OK there and I can see no obvious differences except my home server scans weekly :cry: I did a search for this and I only got one result and that was in French (If you are reading this Mastersleepy, please help, my French isn't as good as your English :D ) Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Del
If at first you don't succeed, then sky-diving is not for you!
"Life is like a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once." --Author Unknown

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: ClamAV error message
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 04:59:56 PM »
Quote from: "del"

I installed SME v7 on my office server yesterday and set the clamAV to scan daily, this morning I got an email from root ...

You've been here long enough to know well that all problems should be reported in detail via the bug tracker.

Offline del

• +0/-0
ClamAV error message
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 05:26:59 PM »
Hi Charlie,

I didn't think it was a bug, but more likely something I have done wrong as I have used the same CD to install on both servers, both have the same level of updates (latest) but one does it and the other doesn't. I will report a bug if you think that's what it is. Also the fact that someone has had the same message, even though it is in French made think it was just some misconfiguration on my part :D Sorry for any inconvenience.

Regards,
Del
"Life is like a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once." --Author Unknown

Offline del

• +0/-0
ClamAV error message
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 03:55:08 PM »
Hi All,

After doing a lot of searching I beleive that this is caused by the fact that I backed up just the users from my old SME 6.0 by doing this:
Copy these files from the SME 6.0 server:
accounts (I am pretty sure this was in a different location on 6 than 7)
/etc/group
/etc/group-
/etc/gshadow
/etc/gshadow-
/etc/shadow
/etc/shadow-
/etc/passwd
/etc/passwd-
and then copy them back on the SME 7.0 server

The old SME 6.0 had ClamAV on also and I think that the user clamav maybe different on each install :oops: So if I am right, my question is where will I find these users and will I be able to delete the old one? Any help is appreciated.

**EDITED**
accounts on SME 7 was here:  /home/e-smith/db/
accounts on SME 6 was here:  /home/e-smith/

Regards,
Del

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
ClamAV error message
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 06:22:14 PM »
Quote from: "del"

After doing a lot of searching I beleive that this is caused by the fact that I backed up just the users from my old SME 6.0 by doing this:

In that case your missing clamav user will likely be just the first of multiple problems. You should either upgrade the existing server "in place", or should use a supported backup/restore method.

Offline del

• +0/-0
ClamAV error message
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 03:37:40 PM »
Hi Charlie,

You were right, I have spent enough time figuring this out, my problem is that the way I backed up the users didn't include any of the folders such as their own ibay or mail stuff :shock: Still it is a lesson learnt, I thought I would save a bit of time but I have spent more time trying to work out a fix than anything, so I have now done a fresh install of SME 7.1 and then added the users :D  Like I should have in the first place :oops:  Any way thanks for your input.

Regards,
Del