Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

altered OWNER rights after restore.

Offline Tillebeck

• +0/-0
« on: October 11, 2006, 10:13:15 AM »
Hi

I am runnning a fully updated stable 7.0. Due to a crash I have made a restore from latest backup (backup made by rsync). After the restore I experience altered rights for some users. Same user who have altered rights cannot log into mail account. The users should have his mails forwarded but they are not forwarded any more. Instead the queue grows with mails...
http://ronja.opengate.dk/kunder/errorReports/alteredRights.pdf

I guess the user rights can be fixed with some linux command... but how can I get the user (ph) to send mails again and read the mails he got?

My backup was made by rsynd and where of these folders (no databases where backed up):
# /etc/e-smith/templates-custom
# /etc/e-smith/templates-user-custom
# /etc/group
# /etc/gshadow
# /etc/passwd
# /etc/samba/secrets.tdb
# /etc/samba/smbpasswd
# /etc/shadow
# /etc/smbpasswd
# /etc/ssh
# /etc/sudoers
# /home/e-smith
# /opt
# /root
# /var/cache/yum

UPDATE:
I have chown ph:ph files&folders and now email and everything is working once again. I still do not know how all this happened in the first place.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
Re: altered OWNER rights after restore.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 12:31:06 PM »
Tillebeck

rsync backup does not retain original ownerships.
rar backup does retain ownerships

Offline Tillebeck

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 04:17:40 PM »
Thanks for this information.
I was not aware of this.

I have started to look into this backup contrib from dmay: http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=34187.0

I hope that will do for a working server backup and then I will downgrade my own rsync solution to only take care of changes in files done on our development server.

I did find a solution to the above mentionen problem with ownership by doing a chown to set files and folders to the correct permissions for the given user.

BR. Anders