Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

How to upgrade from 6.0 to 7.0

sardion8

« on: August 31, 2006, 07:14:46 AM »
Hi to all,

Can anyone advise me how to upgrade from 6.0 to 7.0, currently i am testing it on a separate server but I have problem moving the existing mails over to the new server, as I cant copy ; directory to . directory. Can anyone tell me what to do with this?

Thank You

Offline crazybob

• +0/-0
    • Stalzer R&D
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 02:16:10 PM »
You might want to check out this thread which is near the top of this forum.

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=30745.0

Bob
If you think you know whats going on, you obviously have no idea whats going on!

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 02:22:33 PM »
Quote from: "crazybob"

Or something really radical, such as read the Users Guide.

Offline elmarconi

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 10:33:13 PM »
Hahahaha

Offline groutley

• +0/-0
    • http://www.routley.homeip.net
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 12:42:34 PM »
Quote from: "CharlieBrady"

I come to these forums for constructive help,  some of us are not very Linux literate, and are trying to learn,  we all start somewhere !!

I am not opposed to the RTFM approach,  but I do find it extremely annoying to see people be made look like a fool from a very experienced member here,
But if you could kindly point out where in the Users guide it actually mentions anything on the topic of the First post of this thread, I will no longer get annoyed every time I find a forum thread on an issue I am researching to find the 'read the book'  or 'open a bug report'.

From my experience level  these posts are not helpful, constructive, or encouraging for other people to want to join in and help.

I know this has been said before, and I am about to be shot down in flames,  and it is not like we do not respect and appreciate the hard work of a select few.
But I have read the Users Guide,  I have read the developers guide, and nowhere does it tell me how to migrate the mail from one server to another as an upgrade.
As for the Bug Tracker,  I seriously struggle to understand what all the techno babble is about in there.

If the forum is not here to help people like us, what is it for ??

Offline Jean-Philippe Pialasse

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
    • http://smeserver.pialasse.com
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 02:42:57 PM »
if you use IMAP or webmail to consult and store your emails when you move from sme 6 to sme 7 you have to:

change the name of the users folder from ;FOLDER to .FOLDER
and change ;FOLDER;SUBFOLDER to .FOLDER.SUBFOLDER

you can do this easily like this:
Code: [Select]

rename /home/e-smith/files/users/*/Maildir/;*  /home/e-smith/files/users/*/Maildir/.*

and
Code: [Select]

rename  /home/e-smith/files/users/*/Maildir/;* ;*  /home/e-smith/files/users/*/Maildir/.*.*

then you will have to refresh the listing of directory in your mail client (thunderbird )

sardion8

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 06:31:48 AM »
Thank you to all, your help is deeply appreciated. unnilennium solution works for me. Thanks very much

Offline gordonr

• +0/-0
    • http://www.smeserver.com.au/
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 09:52:40 AM »
Quote from: "unnilennium"
if you use IMAP or webmail to consult and store your emails when you move from sme 6 to sme 7 you have to:

change the name of the users folder from ;FOLDER to .FOLDER
and change ;FOLDER;SUBFOLDER to .FOLDER.SUBFOLDER

This should happen automatically when you upgrade from 6.0 to 7.0 I've been through a large number of upgrades and it has worked correctly for me. If it does not, please raise a bug report.

Note that custom rules, such as those for procmail, will need to be updated to match the folder naming change. But IMAP clients should work as they did before with the entire folder hierarchy visible as it was.

The only exception is that folders which contain a '.' will now look like subfolders. This is an unavoidable side-effect of going to the standard '.' separator for folder names.

Offline Jean-Philippe Pialasse

• +11/-0
  • aka Unnilennium
    • http://smeserver.pialasse.com
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 11:26:01 PM »
i am sure it works fine with cd upgrade from 6.0 to 7.0, but as the SME i have to upgrade have a lot of contribs added, a lot of personalisation, the upgrade seems more to a migration from a old sme 6 to a fresh sme 7 install...

sardion8 was in this kind of migration explaining  that copying folder was not enought.

sardion8

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 06:13:40 AM »
Hi

Also regarding the the users setting up, i realised that i can't use the passwd files and also when i create new users there seems to be a must to include block, small letters, numbers and special characters to form the password. Else it will show

"The password you provided was not a good password. A good password must contain all of the following: upper case letter, lower case letter, number, non-alphanumeric character, be at least 7 characters long."

I am suspecting if such settings blocking me from using the old password to login. Is there anyway to disable it.

Offline nate

• +0/-0
    • http://www.solardepot.com
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 07:09:51 AM »
Quote from: "groutley"
Quote from: "CharlieBrady"

I come to these forums for constructive help,  some of us are not very Linux literate, and are trying to learn,  we all start somewhere !!

I am not opposed to the RTFM approach,  but I do find it extremely annoying to see people be made look like a fool from a very experienced member here,
But if you could kindly point out where in the Users guide it actually mentions anything on the topic of the First post of this thread, I will no longer get annoyed every time I find a forum thread on an issue I am researching to find the 'read the book'  or 'open a bug report'.

From my experience level  these posts are not helpful, constructive, or encouraging for other people to want to join in and help.

I know this has been said before, and I am about to be shot down in flames,  and it is not like we do not respect and appreciate the hard work of a select few.
But I have read the Users Guide,  I have read the developers guide, and nowhere does it tell me how to migrate the mail from one server to another as an upgrade.
As for the Bug Tracker,  I seriously struggle to understand what all the techno babble is about in there.

If the forum is not here to help people like us, what is it for ??

I have to agree with this, …all the newbie bashing does get old.  …didn’t your mama ever tell you, ...if you don’t have something nice to say, …don’t say anything at all?

Perhaps the reason there are so many “lurkers” on this forum is for just this reason..?

I am a member of many information exchange websites, running the gamut form bio music theory, to motorcycles and molecules to Linux.  While Contribs.org is by no means the worst war zone on the Internet with respect to flame wars and self-righteous superiorism, I believe it can and should move towards a gentler, more supportive environment for the benefit of everybody that works and plays here…

In My Humble Opinion!

Look, it’s easy:  When someone posts, …first, you should congratulate them because they are not afraid to talk, …they are reaching out….   If you think their question is below you – DON’T ANSWER IT!  …Or, …you may choose to be ‘subtly sarcastic’ and helpful at the same time, …..without being so damn cold!  ….come on, you know how to do it, use a little imagination and some of that surplus grey matter that you’re packin’…after all, …you’re a Linux God, genius and you are talking to a poor scullion, …right?  …Better yet, …answer only the questions that you are willing to give a supportive, substantive answers to.

I’ve been around, using e-smith since 4.1.1 and I am an ardent proponent of this distribution.  I deeply respect the ‘high knights’ and fathers of e-smith.  If it weren’t for people like Charlie Brady we wouldn’t be here today corresponding in the first place.  Indeed a big part of my livelihood comes from the knowledge that I glean from this forum.

Am I alone in this?  

I work in a eclectic environment and my job requires me to be facile in many disciplines.  Sometimes I feel like I can’t pack any more in my head in one day.  It’s nice to use the power of the internet to ask a question and get an answer.  I don’t think anybody that has found there way to contribs.org is “dumb”.  If you suspect someone is guilty of being lazy, …well, perhaps you should give them the benefit of the doubt that they could simply be overworked?  

So, ….if you must “RTFM” me and “SEARCH” me ….well, ….I guess  that’s  your prerogative, but I don’t think you’re helping me and/or this community in any way by doing it.

- nate
....Making the Jump to 7.x   8-)

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 08:32:33 AM »
groutley & nate

> Or something really radical, such as read the Users Guide.
> I am not opposed to the RTFM approach..

RTFM has the connotation of being harsher than what Charlie said.

> I do find it extremely annoying to see people be made look like
> a fool from a very experienced member here...

People often overlook the obvious and I believe Charlie was stating a simplistic point, that in his opinion the answer did lie in the manual, and that there was no need for him to "waste" (meaning unnecessarily spend) time writing an answer which is already published.

I'm sure his suggestion was well intended, but you obviously didn't see it that way. I personally read nothing that would make someone look foolish, in actual fact I laughed with amusement at the simplistic sense of what he said.

> But I have read the Users Guide, I have read the developers guide, and > nowhere does it tell me how to migrate the mail from one server to
> another as an upgrade.

The original question asked was "Can anyone advise me how to upgrade from 6.0 to 7.0"
I would say Charlie was referring to the upgrade process, ie put a CD in and it will do the upgrade for you almost automatically, and as Gordon has more specifically answered the "mails" would be automatically moved over for you.

> As for the Bug Tracker,  I seriously struggle to understand what all the
> techno babble is about in there.

Are you complaining about your lack of ability to understand it ?
As has been said this is a technical website and people who have found their way here must not be dumb. Therefore a certain amount of technical understanding is required, which includes the bugtracker.

> …all the newbie bashing does get old...

I didn't see or read any newbie bashing, you have implied newbie bashing in your interpretation.

>  …didn’t your mama ever tell you, ...if you don’t have something nice to > say, …don’t say anything at all?

So didn't your mother tell you not to blast people who do offer some help, even though you may not agree with the approach, Charlie did post an answer.
If you felt his answer was  inadequate, then why didn't you bother to post a better answer ?
Instead it was "let's have a whinge".

>....self-righteous superiorism

Just about the only self-righteous superiorism I see in these forums comes from whingers who can't (& probably don't want to) see the reasons why someone does something and wants to berate them for their efforts.

>  …Better yet, …answer only the questions that you are willing to give a supportive, substantive answers to.

I have had quite a bit of interaction with Charlie & I'm sure Charlie felt that his answer was very to the point and quite specific, as I have indicated above.

Do you really believe that you have a right to tell other people how they must answer a question and whether they should answer it at all or not ?

> I deeply respect the ‘high knights’ and fathers of e-smith.  

I don't see that much respect in your post.

> …I guess  that’s  your prerogative, but I don’t think you’re helping me and/or this community...

I think you need to expand your mind and start to see more than just your own viewpoint.
Let people answer as they see fit and stop berating them if you don't like it.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 04:52:27 PM »
Quote from: "RayMitchell"

The original question asked was "Can anyone advise me how to upgrade from 6.0 to 7.0"
I would say Charlie was referring to the upgrade process, ie put a CD in and it will do the upgrade for you almost automatically,

That's exactly as I saw it. Thanks Ray.

Offline nate

• +0/-0
    • http://www.solardepot.com
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 06:06:15 PM »
Ray, Charlie,

…guys, I’m sorry, but what I wrote is what I think how I feel, sometimes on this and other Linux user forums.  I needed to voice those words and they were by no means directed at you personally.

This is not the appropriate thread for this discourse so we should end this right here.

How can I show you respect other than telling you so directly?  I marvel at your abilities and praise your work every time that I touch my system.  Perhaps the best show of respect is that I follow you advice to the letter, every time I am fortunate enough to have correspondence with you.  Typically whenever I read a long post, I scan down to see who has replied, then I read your responses first!

…is that enough, or do you need more?

[smile]

Cheers guys, …thank you.  Keep up your fantastic work!

- nate
....Making the Jump to 7.x   8-)