Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

PowerSchool problems SME7/Dansguardian - Paging grattman

kansasdragon

« on: August 31, 2006, 01:21:52 AM »
I have a Catholic School that is using SME 7 with Dungogs installation of Dansguardian to do content filtering for their school.

The Diocese has now mandated that all the schools in the Diocese start using the fat client for powergrade/powerschool.  Which is causing the same problem described in the following thread:

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=28709.0

Basically we get an authentication error from the PowerSchool server if Dansguardian is running, if it's off, we get a message saying the server cannot be found at that address.

Mr. Grattman.. or anyone else, did you have any luck solving this previously?

Most of the other schools in the Diocese are using Sonicwalls for their firewall and content filtering.

I've added an exclusion for the to DansGuardian but it makes not difference.

Thank you for any assistance.

Offline grattman

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 12:26:25 PM »
kansasdragon,

The way we solved it was by opening a port (ie: 8888) on the PowerSchool server. That way it does not interfere with the normal http request and also does not get caught in DG/squid.

So when you are setting up the PowerGrade client, in the address you would put powerschool.some.org:8888

It has worked fine with regards to that, but the PS itself leaves something to be desired.

Hope this helps, feel free to email me with any other questions.

grattman

kansasdragon

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 02:56:38 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I went ahead and reinstalled Dansguardian following the HowTo's instead of the Dungog installer.  Cleaned up the rules for the port 80 redirect, and then forced the proxy on the workstations with an Active Directory Group Policy from the 2003 Server.  That allowed the PowerGrade to work and still kept our browsing policies in place.

It's getting us both things we wanted, so for now, I'm done playing.

Everyone was very helpful.

Thanks again.