Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Cannot log into console as Admin

Offline bizell

• +0/-0
Cannot log into console as Admin
« on: August 05, 2006, 01:19:01 AM »
I am having issues logging into the server console as Admin. I can log into the server manager as admin through a browser, and I can log in as Root with Putty or locally, but I cannot log in to the console. When I try to login with Admin credentials, it quickly displays the last login info and then returns to the login screen. When I try with Putty, it simply closes the session.

I have not done a simple reboot yet as I will have users logged in for another couple of hours until the day is over. At that point I will start with a reboot and see if that makes any difference.

Does anybody have any ideas? I would like to know if there is something I can do without having to bring the server down and back up.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: Cannot log into console as Admin
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 05:09:16 AM »
Quote from: "bizell"
I am having issues logging into the server console as Admin. I can log into the server manager as admin through a browser, and I can log in as Root with Putty or locally, but I cannot log in to the console. When I try to login with Admin credentials, it quickly displays the last login info and then returns to the login screen.

I assume that you mean "admin" and not "Admin".

Since you can log in as root, then you don't need to log in as admin - just run /sbin/e-smith/console to manage the server as root. But you still want to find out what is wrong. Please report via the bug tracker. Include in the report anything you've done which is unusual, and show the output of "grep admin /etc/passwd".

BTW, I believe that you mean to say "Can log into console as admin, but get logged out right away.