Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

No Direct internet conection

Offline ceebster

• +0/-0
« on: July 25, 2006, 12:22:06 AM »
Hi Folks

Just installed v7.0 on my new server - install went - great  - but since moving to my new business we don't have a direct conection to the internet - i have to use a proxy server.

I am a bit new to SME, but is it possible to enter the proxy server details anywhere inside SME so I can download RPM's etc.

Thanks

Chris

Offline raem

• +4/-0
Re: No Direct internet conection
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 11:07:16 AM »
ceebster

At the console or using Putty, login as admin and run configure this server.
I think you should read the manual too as this is all explained there !

Offline ceebster

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 11:56:50 AM »
Hi Ray

Thanks for the reply - i may be, being  abit thick, but i have gone back through the installation 3 times now and i can't get the Proxy Server area to appear - I am on the latest SME 7.0 -

Would it be due to i have to oick a different route through to make it appear - ihave tried server and fire wall - different DNS address - but to no avail. -

I also ready though the manual at your request, but still stuck>

Would yourelf or someone on the site be able to tell me if i can add it manually later to one of the config files etc??

Thanks again

Chris

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 12:41:41 PM »
ceebster

>...i can't get the Proxy Server area to appear...
> I also ready though the manual at your request...

I don't know what manual you were reading then !

See
http://no.longer.valid/phpwiki/index.php/SME7Manual

5.14. Further Miscellaneous Parameters
Master DNS server:
External proxy server:

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 12:55:28 PM »
ceebster

>...we don't have a direct conection to the internet - i have to use a proxy server.

Just guessing (as you have not told us much about your setup), but sounds like you should configure your sme as server only.
Then login as admin, select Configure this server , step through the screens and set the gateway IP address, and you can also set the Corporate DNS server address two screens later.

Offline ceebster

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 01:53:51 PM »
Quote from: "RayMitchell"
ceebster

>...we don't have a direct conection to the internet - i have to use a proxy server.

Just guessing (as you have not told us much about your setup), but sounds like you should configure your sme as server only.
Then login as admin, select Configure this server , step through the screens and set the gateway IP address, and you can also set the Corporate DNS server address two screens later.

Ray,

Yeah, we are installing the SME Server as a server only, as we go through the set up and add the IP Address of the DNS it does NOT give us the option to add the proxy server just goes straight to the activate setting screen

Ceebs

PS Ray,

I have downloaded the stright SME 7.0 ISO - is this the correct version we should be using?? do you recommend anything else ?

thanks

ceebs

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 02:29:02 PM »
ceebster

>..installing the SME Server as a server only
>...and add the IP Address of the DNS...

I believe you also need to add the IP address of your networks gateway server in one of the earlier screens, so that you can access the Internet via that server.

Offline ceebster

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 02:32:17 PM »
Quote from: "RayMitchell"
ceebster

>..installing the SME Server as a server only
>...and add the IP Address of the DNS...

I believe you also need to add the IP address of your networks gateway server in one of the earlier screens, so that you can access the Internet via that server.

Hi Ray,

Thanks again , we have done both, server only, and Server and gateway - still the same, and the IP address of our DNS  - i have put it in and left it out - still can't make the proxy area appear.

Ceebs

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 03:08:39 PM »
ceebster

>...still can't make the proxy area appear

You are looking for something that is NOT there (by name anyway).

As I understand your situation, you have a sme server in server only mode behind another main firewall/gateway, and that gateway is also providing DNS services for your network. You want the sme server to be able to access the Internet via your main firewall/gateway server.

In the Configure this server screens, set BOTH
IP address of gateway server
and
IP Address of the DNS server
with the IP of your main firewall/gateway server.

Leave the settings as I suggest, try a reboot, and if that doesn't work, then perhaps there is some other issue that is stopping it from working.

Offline ceebster

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 03:27:28 PM »
Hi Ray

Done all that - but still the same - When i access the internet from my noral network - we have an an address and port 80 - where could i put the port in.

Chris

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 04:00:53 PM »
ceebster

> When i access the internet from my noral network - we have an an
> address and port 80 - where could i put the port in.

I don't know what you are talking about.

You have not explained your situation or your specific problem very well.
Please elaborate signifcantly on your network arrangement and what it is that you want to do, and what you have tried and what errors you get.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 05:55:09 PM »
Quote from: "ceebster"

i have to use a proxy server.

I am a bit new to SME, but is it possible to enter the proxy server details anywhere inside SME so I can download RPM's etc.

Yes. There used to be  a console option to do this, but mandatory proxies are so rare these days that the question was taken out to simplify things.

You can set it from the command line.

config set SquidParent a.b.c.d
config set SquidParentPort nn
signal-event post-upgrade
signal-event reboot

[The SquidParentPort setting is optional if the upstream proxy is on port 3128.]

Offline ceebster

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 06:57:52 PM »
Hi Charlie

Thanks for the reply - i think you understand what i am talking about.

I have tried the commands you posted, but still not having much success - is it worth modifying the squid.conf file, and entering these details here, or does the command do this any way.

I have been doing a lot of reading up, and i think the other words used are upstream proxy !

Thanks again

Chris

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 08:08:10 PM »
Quote from: "ceebster"

I have tried the commands you posted, but still not having much success

So you are having some success?

- is it worth modifying the squid.conf file, and entering these details here, or does the command do this any way.

The commands should be doing that. There's no harm in you checking, or trying to make hand edits to see what you need in order for it to work.

One thing to check is that you have used the correct case sensitive spelling for SquidParent and SquidParentPort.

I have been doing a lot of reading up, and i think the other words used are upstream proxy !

Yes

Offline ceebster

• +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 09:13:39 PM »
Sucess - mmm - well i am getting closer to the fact i know where squid.conf is - how to vi the squid.conf..........etc - bit of a newbie

My squid.conf file does have alot of lines already in, would the file work if i used a blank one and just added the lines you mentioned as; i don't actually need control over who accesses the internet from client machines - i just need access direct from the sme box.

Thanks  again
Chris

PS - we are a school, so thats why we have to access an upstream proxy for internet access.