Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Haw to change smtp port?

cylon

Haw to change smtp port?
« on: July 07, 2006, 01:10:01 PM »
Well the topic kinda say it all my port25 is band by isp and i need to change the port and ive been looking all over in forum and google but can´t seam to find the file i need to edit any soul out there that might know wich file and where to find it im useing sme 7.0 final , and sorry again if i was blind and diden´t see im kinda new to linux thanks in advance.

Best regards Cylon

cylon

Haw to change smtp port?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 02:20:19 AM »
bump up , is there really noone who knows where the config file is located in sme so i can change my smtp port from 25 to some other pls help me manny thanks. :)

Offline raem

• +4/-0
Re: Haw to change smtp port?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 04:40:00 AM »
cylon

> ... my port25 is band by isp

I'm sure this has been answered before. Do a Search Site on smtp & click Forums - Show all Results.
You will have to read through the various posts to find the answer.
Problem is that it may not really fix your problem.
Mail will need to be sent & received by others on the new port you choose.

duncan

Haw to change smtp port?
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 06:18:02 AM »
Quite frankly the solution to this is for customers to tell their ISPs that they are not happy with these restrictions and if they do nothing about it vote with there feet and move to another ISP.

I cant speak for the rest of the world - but there are plenty of ISPs in Oz that just dont block any ports.

yon

Haw to change smtp port?
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 10:10:42 AM »
ok M8 i'm no expert by a long way. but you could use webmail.

Offline mrjhb3

• +0/-0
    • John Bennett Services
Haw to change smtp port?
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 08:06:15 AM »
Quote from: "cylon"
bump up , is there really noone who knows where the config file is located in sme so i can change my smtp port from 25 to some other pls help me manny thanks. :)

Is this what you are looking for?
Code: [Select]
config show smtpd
smtpd=service
    Authentication=disabled
    Instances=40
    InstancesPerIP=5
    MaximumDateOffset=0
    PatternsScan=disabled
    Proxy=enabled
    TCPPort=25
    TCPProxyPort=25
    VirusScan=enabled
    access=public
    status=enabled
    tnef2mime=enabled

Then change the appropriate db setting, and try a signal-event email-update.

JB

Offline gordonr

• +0/-0
    • http://www.smeserver.com.au/
Re: Haw to change smtp port?
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 04:11:33 AM »
Quote from: "cylon"
Well the topic kinda say it all my port25 is band by isp and i need to change the port and ive been looking all over in forum and google but can´t seam to find the file i need to edit any soul out there that might know wich file and where to find it im useing sme 7.0 final , and sorry again if i was blind and diden´t see im kinda new to linux thanks in advance.

Best regards Cylon

It depends on what "banned" means. If it's just blocked, go to the Port Forwarding panel and set up a forward from port 2525 to port 25 on "localhost".

If your ISP won't let you run a mail server, changing the port is probably breaching your terms of service. Move to an ISP which allows you to run a mail server.

Offline arne

• +0/-4
Haw to change smtp port?
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 10:58:40 PM »
But wouldnt the use of port 2525 normally be very little usable ? When most other mail servers in the world sends post on port 25 there will be rather little amounts of mail to be received on port 2525 ?

Offline gordonr

• +0/-0
    • http://www.smeserver.com.au/
Haw to change smtp port?
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 01:21:07 AM »
Quote from: "arne"
But wouldnt the use of port 2525 normally be very little usable ? When most other mail servers in the world sends post on port 25 there will be rather little amounts of mail to be received on port 2525 ?

Correct - SMTP uses port 25 and so changing the port won't result in mail magically being accepted.

However, the original poster asked how to change the SMTP port. I presume they are planning to use an external SMTP redirector host to relay the mail to the non-standard port.

The point still remains that if the ISP won't allow port 25, they probably won't allow you to run a mail server on a non-standard port. If that's the case, you need to change to an ISP who will allow you to run an SMTP server.

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
Haw to change smtp port?
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 05:37:31 PM »
It's also possible that he only wants a host that his mobile or off-site users can use for outbound email.  In this case he could have them use ssmtp instead on port 465 - I've done this with a couple of clients who have port-25-blocking-ISPs at home.