Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

IMAPS (port 993) and SSMTP (port 465) Failure after Upgrade

Offline sonoracomm

• +0/-0
    • http://www.sonoracomm.com
Hi folks,

I recently upgraded two diffferent SME 7 RC1 boxes to RC2 via a 'yum upgrade'.   Both upgrades appeared to happen normally.

However, on one of the boxes, the SSMTP and IMAPS functions stopped working.  

Thunderbird complains "Unable to connect to your IMAP server. You may have exceeded the maximum number of connections to this server..."  The mail client does _not_ prompt with the normal SSL security warnings nor will it prompt for a password for either service.  If I deselect SSL for SMTP or IMAP, both still function normally.

If I telnet to ports 465 and 993, the server responds, so something is listening on those ports.

I checked all log files I could think of and there are no errors listed.  The imaps log shows this when the mail client tries to connect:

2006-05-21 10:48:03.069922500 tcpsvd: info: status 1/400
2006-05-21 10:48:03.069946500 tcpsvd: info: pid 3619 from 207.182.36.206
2006-05-21 10:48:03.069967500 tcpsvd: info: concurrency 3619 207.182.36.206 1/6
2006-05-21 10:48:03.069987500 tcpsvd: info: start 3619 0:192.245.12.114 ::207.182.36.206:48052 ./peers/207.182.36.206
2006-05-21 10:48:03.070011500 imapfront-auth[3619]: * OK imapfront ready.

<normally more comes here instead it just ends>

2006-05-21 10:48:03.070032500 tcpsvd: info: end 3619 exit 0
2006-05-21 10:48:03.070052500 tcpsvd: info: status 0/400

Does anyone have any tips on what might have gone wrong or how to troubleshoot this further?

Thanks,

G

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: IMAPS (port 993) and SSMTP (port 465) Failure after Upgr
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 11:34:24 PM »
Quote from: "sonoracomm"

I recently upgraded two diffferent SME 7 RC1 boxes to RC2 via a 'yum upgrade'.   Both upgrades appeared to happen normally.

However, on one of the boxes, the SSMTP and IMAPS functions stopped working.

All problems should be reported (only) via the Bug Tracker. Thanks.

EnglishRob

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 07:44:18 PM »
Has a bug request/fix been logged for this?

If not, I'll log a bug, it's bugging me (pun not intended) not being able to use Thunderbird just to get quick easy access to my mail, not to mention I know of a couple of people who are likely to shout at me about it.

Rob

Offline sonoracomm

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 07:48:46 PM »
Since I didn't really know if it was a bug or not, I didn't.  I'm not going to post bugs just to find out I configured something wrong...that's what this forum is for.

Anyway, I'd like to ask you a question:  Did you enter any "db configuration... " commands?  Particularly trying to open up mail (pop3, IMAP, smtp) to the outside world?

G

EnglishRob

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 08:04:48 PM »
I haven't run any commands since the upgrade.  I think I was on RC1 and then just ran yum update

A month or so ago, I had to run a command to specify a different port for my ISP's SMTP server, but the problem I've found connecting to the server (connection refused error) with both IMAP and Secure IMAP has happened in the last couple of days since running yum.

Rob

Offline sonoracomm

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 08:11:25 PM »
Perhaps it's different...except that it  happened after a 'yum update'.

In my case, it was only SSL (IMAPS) that was affected.  I'm still not 100% certain, but I think my problems started after I ran a command to set IMAP access=public..

I'm afraid to try it again...though I will.  I have the server running in a VM and I've taken a snapshot.  I just have a bunch of other stuff to do just this second.

G

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 09:33:30 PM »
Please stop posting to this thread. Open a bug report, and post all details there.  Thanks.

Offline sonoracomm

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 08:16:20 AM »
I finally, finally determined that the problem with IMAPS had to do with adding the kernel parameter clock=pit which I entered to fix the runaway timekeeping in the SME 7 VM.

Furthermore, the developers have determined that it's an issue with the Redhat/Centos kernel and will have to be addressed by them.

So, back to "how to fix timekeeping in a VMware VM...".  

clock=pmtmr seems to work OK so far.

G

Offline Neririn

• +0/-0
Thanks for posting in the wrong place! :)
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 11:06:12 PM »
Charlie,

I was able to find the solution to a 'bug' because this was posted in the general section.  Would I have found this solution with the same search, had the original post been made in the bug section?

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
    • http://www.magicwilly.info
Re: Thanks for posting in the wrong place! :)
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 04:33:47 AM »
Quote from: "Neririn"
Charlie,

I was able to find the solution to a 'bug' because this was posted in the general section.  Would I have found this solution with the same search, had the original post been made in the bug section?

More than likely with the 'same search' in the bug section.
Regards,
William

IF I give advise.. It's only if it was me....

Offline raem

• +4/-0
Re: Thanks for posting in the wrong place! :)
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 01:02:21 AM »
To all forum readers

When you see one of the lead developers pop in to a thread and recommend creating a bug report, you should take their advice.

They know sme server better than anyone, and if they suspect your post looks like a bug, then it has a high likelihood of being so.

Charlies a busy guy and when your lack of initial response gets him to post twice to prompt you to make a bug report, then that is just wasting his time.

Please take the hint the first time in future.

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 09:01:43 PM »
@RayMitchell
I completely agree with you 100%. When a dev, moderator, leader speaks, it's in the best interest if forum visitors listen.

However, how is the average visitor supposed to know who a developer is and who isn't  -especially when a dev/moderator list is neither posted anywhere nor is it tagged under a person's name?

For example, what is your role other than having more than 2300 posts?

Possibly positions should be tagged as a developer/moderator either in their handle or in their signature?

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 11:15:21 PM »
kruhm

> how is the average visitor supposed to know who a developer is

Well all the posters in this thread have been around long enough to know who Charlie is, but I agree that doesn't necessarily apply to other posters, & my message was addressed to all forum readers.

> what is your role other than having more than 2300 posts?
> Possibly positions should be tagged as a developer/moderator either in their handle or in their signature?

What could I be tagged with, neither a dev or a moderator.
Perhaps: willing helper with busy fingers ?

I'm not sure that tagging user names is necessarily the answer, although it may help. Tagging users will depend on whether the user wants to get tagged or not, too.
Plenty of people still seem to disagree with Charlie, bordering on disrespect at times.

I was probably trying to promote some respect generally and hoped that future readers will spot & take note of the post.

Offline byte

• +2/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 11:19:43 PM »
Quote from: "kruhm"
However, how is the average visitor supposed to know who a developer is and who isn't  -especially when a dev/moderator list is neither posted anywhere nor is it tagged under a person's name?

This would be a start...

http://sourceforge.net/project/memberlist.php?group_id=96750

For example, what is your role other than having more than 2300 posts?

I've known Ray's posts are because he as a long time user like myself and donate's his time to helping and assisting others, including some very good how-to's

Just my 2p's worth  8)
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 02:56:25 AM »
@RayMitchell
>>Perhaps: willing helper with busy fingers ?
Ditto. As most of us with more than a few posts are.

>>Plenty of people still seem to disagree with Charlie, bordering on disrespect at times.
I share your concern. Probably because they don't know who he is.

After all, how long can he take punches like that from the do-the-work-for-me-for-free-and-i-give-nothing-back-and-dis-you crowd before he just gives up. To his credit, and the rest of the team, I would given up a long time ago.

>>I was probably trying to promote some respect generally and hoped that future readers will spot & take note of the post.
I agree. What we need is:
-official order & ranks for those that pass the test
-a forum mod (whoever that may be) to create a sticky post for a CODE-OF-CONDUCT.
-a closed forum for the higher ranks, so we don't have to deal with endless task of weeding through questions that are already answered (if I see another "how do i access server-manager"...)

@byte
AFAIK, that list is defunct. Even if it weren't, it would need to be duplicated around here as it's buried in an off-site. If it isn't obvious at the point of need, it isn't helpful.

Also, I was playing devils advocate. Ray's top-notch, so is his donated work. I was just making a point (although to be honest, I did think he had some special title).

The point being if we (& the info) were organized correctly we could work as a team more efficiently. I've seen too many excellent projects die because of a lack of this.